Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know how many here own their own planers and jointers. So far I've bought wood s2s and used my router table and table saw to square the edges. The process usually works out fine, and I've had few issues doing things this way for the type of work I've done up to this point.

As I learn more about the craft I've been mulling over buying a planer and a jointer of my own. However, the money seems hard for me to justify (ok, I admit, I'm adverse to spending money unless I really have to). Buying lumber s2s is only about 14 cents more per board foot at my hardwood dealer than buying rough stock. Plus, I don't have to maintain (or find space in my workshop for) two more machines. Doing the math I'd have to surface over 5700 board feet before a decent (new) version of these two tools paid for themselves, not considering maintenance and cost to run the machines. Of course, me being me I probably won't pay full price for them if I do buy them, I'll get a good deal on second hand tools, but the point still stands.

That all said, I'd love to have some more experienced wood workers weigh in on this topic. How many of you own your own jointers and planers? What do you see as the primary advantages of owning them? Thanks in advance for any insight you can share.

·
Thumb Nailer
2,454 Posts
While they are cheapies, I have my own jointer and planer. The planer is a Ryobi AP1301 13", the jointer is a Sunhill SM-150B 6" bench top model. For less than $400.00 invested, I can mill rough lumber into S4S in nothing flat. I don't bother with pre-surfaced lumber as it tends to shift around a bit after it gets to the shop anyway, having my own equipment allows me to correct that, not to mention save obscene amounts of money on lumber. (I can take an interesting log out of the firewood pile and turn it into useful lumber no problem!)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, I own both and they are Delta units. Don't use them on every project but when the need arrises they are ready and waiting.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I just got a rigid jointed and a DeWalt 735 planer.

The improvement in what I turn out is dramatic. Start square, stay square. S2S is not always square.

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
I think dbhost points out how you should look at it... I use my 13" planer pretty much every day I'm in the shop... And my jointer But I also only buy rough lumber so that's why...

But more than that I use my planer for much more than for milling stock!!! Stock 7/8 -3/4 is rarely the right thickness for what I'm doing, lol... Maybe I'm just spoiled but I'd go nuts in a hurry if I could tweak thickness quickly and easily... lol... I just couldn't do it! :)

And by my figuring you could buy one on cl for $300 and pay it off in 1600 bft... Probably 1/8-1/4 the life of an average used planer...

But I still can't imagine life with out one :)

~tom

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like the consensus is go for them. It's true that S2S does not necessarily stay square once it gets acclimated to the shop; been there, beat my head over that. Well, looks like I'll be pinching my pennies and keeping an eye on CL. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
If you can afford it,its the way to go.Bought my Delta 13' planer on c/l for $180,my jet 6" jointer for $275 on c/l and got 3 extra new sets of blades thrown in.Couldnt make my guitars without them.

·
The Young Blood
550 Posts
I've got a planer not a jointer. I usually buy wood s4s, it's a little bit more expensive, but I never do projects large enough where the price would be a huge difference.

·
Super Moderator
4,373 Posts
Yep

·
glh17
265 Posts
Yes, a Ridgid 1300 planer and a Delta 6" open stand jointer. Not heavy duty stuff, but they work.

I started by buying red oak and poplar and paying outrageous prices per board ft at Home Depot and Lowe's. I computed how many bf I would have to use to justify the cost of the planer and jointer (and buying rough sawn over HD and Ls) and was surprised by how little it was. As I recall, I'd save the costs of the jointer and planer over one or two years. I probably overestimated the bf but still saved money in the long run. I also have much better lumber choice. The downside is that I lost space.

·
Super Moderator
4,373 Posts
Leo, send me a towel to wipe the drool off my keyboard.
Well, it's what I do for a living. So I need this stuff. I don't have to ask the wife permission to buy any of it either :smile:

·
Registered
746 Posts
I own both, having them has opened up the possibilities for sources of material. I don't use the jointer as much as I could, but having it is a good insurance policy. I wouldn't go without a planer - simply too valuable to not have. If you get one, get one with an outfeed port (unbelievable) some don't have one and it makes a MESS :thumbdown: of the shop. Heck even with the outfeed port it makes a mess.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
No.... I have a power handheld plane, a table saw jointing jig, and a router jointing jig and not nearly enough shop time to buy more. But if that changes, one or both will be high on the list.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I own a Dewalt 735 planer and Powermatic 54 jointer. I build a lot of cabinet doors (hobby guy) and can't imagine not having those tools. When gluing up boards to make a table top or a cabinet door it is great to count on a jointer to give you that perfectly straight edge that makes it hard to see that you have joined boards together on the finished product. To save even more money a guy could just use a hand saw and save the cost of a table saw, and use hand tools instead of a router. We each have to decide what our needs are. It is so nice to have the right tools for the job even if you don't use them on a daily basis. I couldn't afford to buy all the tools I wanted at one time, but I did obtain them gradually over a period of time. Fine Woodworking magazine did a recent article on the benefits of buying used tools. I bought my planer new, but the jointer was purchased from a weekend woodworker.

·
The village amadán.
789 Posts
I have a PC 12" planer I got for Christmas (thanks Honey) and an old Craftsman 6" jointer that is still brand new! I love the options I have for lumber with these two tools!

·
Registered
12,601 Posts
While I have been doing woodworking for many, many years, I have only recently acquired a planner. Still have not used it a lot, but it sure is nice to have when I want it.

Like you almost all of the wood I purchase is at least s2s if not s4s. In this area there is very little rough sawn lumber available. You have to search for it and drive some distance. Just has not been worth it to me.

I have had a jointer for most of the time.

George

·
pope of chilitown
76 Posts
I have a 15" grizzly planer, and I joint on my TS. I Can do without the jointer but absolutely have to have the planer.

On the to-buy list are drum sander and jointer

·
Curmudgeon in Training
824 Posts
I also have a Grizzly 15" planer and a Grizzly 6" jointer. I use rough sawmill lumber almost exclusively (except for plywood).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts