Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I listen to talk radio some. I listen to a little broadcast radio music, but mostly listen to CDs while I work.

·
Senior Member from MN
219 Posts
Having grown up of the local rock station, I admit that in my shop I now listen to a jazz station operated by the local public schools (often they have student DJ's). I like their programs such as the bluegrass review, mountain stage, tent show radio, celtic nation, Sinatra & friends and the Bing shift. The music is relaxing, which goes right along with cutting wood. Then my wife comes down and turns on the noisy dryer adjacent the shop:thumbdown:. Mental note - must build noise barrier.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I steadfastly REFUSE to listen to the radio. I don't need to hear the same Canadian "alt rock" band 20 times a day.

Rockabilly or psychobilly...'specialy The Quakes or Mad Sin. That'll get ya' goin' in the mornin'!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The music is relaxing, which goes right along with cutting wood.
That is what I think too. I have different moods and or jobs that call for different music. Maybe some blues, jazz, Motown, southern rock, hard rock, maybe a little reggae once in awhile, etc..
I catch myself playing air guitar/drums/sax...more than I should though. I have no musical talent, but I am a regular one man air band :laughing: .
I have been caught more than once by a customer who walks in the door, totally embarrassing, because I really get into it. Feverishly swinging my lathe tools in a drum solo, have my tape measure stretched out in a guitar riff. Just this morning I was fingering out the baseline on a Stevie Wonder song (Higher Ground) with my head down and a guy walked into the shop :blush:. At least it was not a stranger, he knows I am nuts

·
Registered
129 Posts
I usually have a radio on very low when working in my shop. Never really hear it but it has to be on. And never bring one on a job site.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Almost any time that I'm at the computer or working in the shop or at my desk at my day job, there is music on in the background. At work, I listen to a "quiet" station that plays stuff all the way from the 40s to today. A wonderful member on another forum sent me 11 CDs that are actually MP3s that I can play on my computer through the speakers; each one lasts about 5 hours, so any time I'm here, the music is on.

I'll listen to almost anything except rap, hard-core country, and "ethnic" music, which I get too much of around here (marachi "music" goes a looooonnng way for me).

Nancy (88 days)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I enjoy listening to the radio while working alone.
Don't like them on the jobsite when folks are trying to work and communicate with each other.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a radio on all the time in the shop, but its not really on to listen to most of the time. I have it plugged into an outlet that the wife can turn off from inside the house to let me know that she needs me to come in from the shop for something. Keeps her from having to come across the yard to the shop, and avoids the when did you buy that questions.

·
flatiron
71 Posts
music in the shop

I have a radio, cd or tv on when i'm working in the shop. bluegrass ,jazz or blues music , I play in a progressive bluegrass band

·
Registered
801 Posts
The Joys of a Small FM broadcaster..... that transmits out to the Shop..... Can listen to whatever Online radio station I'm in the mood too, thru the Computer.........

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Thanks Daren, had never heard of Victor Wooten.
Listen mostly to country and classic rock.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
I am all over the gamut. Like daveb, one of my pre-programmed stations is the PBS station run by Texas A & M at Commerce. Being far away from a liberal some would wonder why since PBS is blatantly biased toward that ideology, but they have enough other shows that I can appreciate and they also play an ecclectic mix of music and have certain stlyes during certain times and days of the week. Bluegrass, jazz, rock, pop, variety everything but country (which I am rarely in the mood for). Notably Texan features only texas artists and it is my favorite regular show on radio. It has more thanjust the songs they do interviews and whatnot with the artists.

When I work I also like to listen to talk radio especially G. Gordon Liddy. I don't agree with him on everything (almost though) but he is hands down the most intelligent, considerate, and articulate radio host of all time even though he is detested by mainstream media.

When I play CDs it's usually classic rock and prog prog rock. I have entire collections of bands many people have scarcely or never heard of. Not indie just obscure bands from the 70s and 80s that were either one hit wonders or never had a hit at all.

On Sundays, I often reach for Handel's Watermusic or Gustav Holsts - The Planets. When I use to imbibe in the spirits on a regular basis, I would enjoy going out to the woodshop after the kids were asleep and sip (or chug) a nice Merlot, with Mozart on fairly loud, while cutting dovetails.

I like to feel the music more than hear it. What? Say what? Speak up I can't hear you!

·
Registered
803 Posts
I used to listen to Lenny Breau when I carved necks.
And yes, Victor Wooten is a little...um...busy ain't he!!!:yes:

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I work I also like to listen to talk radio especially G. Gordon Liddy.
I too listen to talk radio, mostly right wing. Looking at my picture would you guess me a conservative? I was a liberal (I thought)...until I started paying taxes :glare:, my politics changed then. I remember a funny G. Gordon Liddy story. He said it was right after he got out of the penitentiary he had been in awhile and jogging had became a faze while he was locked up. He had not been out 2-3 days and decided to go out and get some jogging shoes and shorts. He goes into the store and sees a pair of shorts he might like. Still in federal prison mode mentally where there is no privacy he has not acclimated to "the outside". He just drops his pants and tries on the shorts right in the middle of the store. :laughing:

Hey Cdog,I just thought of something I know about Canada. Rush is a good band, surely you can cut Geddy Lee some slack http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-JD5AdCpY4 . I think I listen to everything but rap and broadcast country. There is some country I can tolerate, but no local station plays it. I don't like top 40 really of any genre.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts