Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m wondering who leaves their compressor pressurized versus releasing the pressure every night.

I’m pretty sure the directions say to drain daily, and I could easily drain just the water daily but I’m wondering who actually fully depressurizes daily.

I’ve been doing a coat of finish each morning for the past few days, using compressed air to remove dust from sanding in-between coats.

I wouldn’t mind being able to start the day without having to run the noisy compressor to get started. (Not to mention risk waking my wife).

·
Registered
354 Posts
I’m wondering who leaves their compressor pressurized versus releasing the pressure every night.
My compressor tank is pressurized 24/7 unless I go away for a week or two on a trip. Drain gets opened, but I don't release any more air than necessary, when the water quits spitting the valve gets closed. I already paid to compress the air in the tank, I might as well keep it there for the next day.
As long as you drain the water, compressor tanks are made to hold compressed air. No different than leaving compressed air in your car tires overnight.
Car tires have a max PSI rating as do compressor tanks. Don't exceeding the rating and everything will be just fine.

·
Registered
26,645 Posts

I’m pretty sure the directions say to drain daily, and I could easily drain just the water daily but I’m wondering who actually fully depressurizes daily.

I’ve been doing a coat of finish each morning for the past few days, using compressed air to remove dust from sanding in-between coats.

I wouldn’t mind being able to start the day without having to run the noisy compressor to get started. (Not to mention risk waking my wife).
I used my jobsite compressor today for the first time since before Thanksgiving and it was still aired up. Wouldn't even come on until I started using air. The drain daily is the water, not the air.

·
Registered
Ret: Process Engineer
63 Posts
I turn it off at night, blowdown water weekly.

·
Ancient Termite
930 Posts
It was about 1996 that I acquired a DeVilbiss 4 gallon compressor. I left it pressurized until about a year ago. It was running about once every three weeks to keep the pressure up. I bought a new compressor and gave the old one to one of my kids.

I had been told that leaving the compressor pressurized was better for the valve between the compressor itself and the tank. So better than 20 years, I have no complaints.

·
mike44
191 Posts
I leave the tank pressurized. Drain water from tank once or twice a week. I removed drain valve ,installed an elbow with a air hose fitting under the tank. The hose has a lever valve on other end. I open the door, open the lever and shut it off after the water spray is gone.
mike

·
Registered
98 Posts
I turn mine off, that's all. Can't wait for the thing to die, it's just too loud. Don't use it that much.

·
Smart and Cool
2,003 Posts
When I leave the shop I turn off the compressor, and close the air line valve, so it stays pressurized.

I drain the tank on a regular schedule, but also have an aftercooler system that eliminates a good portion of the water that gets in the tank, I drain the drop legs for the aftercooler at the same interval that I drain the tank.

I've found that completely releasing all of the air during the tank drain is unnecessary as I don't get any more water than if I just open the valve for about 20 seconds.

·
Registered
283 Posts
It's not good for a pressure tank to be pressurized and completely depressurized on a daily bases.
It stresses the steel.

·
Administrator
David
5,101 Posts
My little 2HP Craftsman with 20 gallon tank has been pressurized ever since it was given to me in the late 70's. I drain the water every couple of years. It's inside my climate controlled shop and with the humidity being low I just don't get water in the tank. The most I've ever seen lasted for maybe 5 seconds when I opened the valve. It stays plugged in and I close the ball valve every evening when I finish in the shop.

David

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I just turn mine off. It's nice to have some pressurized air if you just need to shoot a few brads, without having to listen to the noise of it filling up. I usually forget to drain the water regularly, and only drain it when I depressurize it.

·
Interested Observer
1,051 Posts
The compressor I am using now is a Dewalt job site model. It is powered by one of my 2 switched lights circuit. I turn the lights on, it powers up. I don't drain it near as much as I should, I don't worry about it either. In my DIY shop it gets used "mostly" with an air blow gun and the occasional tire filling. So, it isn't a duty machine running air tools all day. I recently used it with the needle scaler on some restoration stuff.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
leaving pressurized is fine, turning it off is a must! especially if it is in a remote location.

guys garage burnt down because the compressor got a leak and started running 24/7 until it caught fire and burnt down the garage. he didn't know it was running...

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
I bleed my pancake compressor after every use only b/c I use it only occasionally.

I do not bleed my big compressor b/c there is no pressure in the pump b/c the dump valve bleeds that off. I turn it off if I'm leaving town.

If you're using it on a daily basis, it saves wear and tear, too.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts