Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in a few days, the forum will be switching to the new format.
now is a good time to test your password to ensure it is correct
by logging out and back in a couple of times.
if there are any issues, please contact Admin or any of the Moderators for assistance.
[this is not to be a conversation of any programs you may use or how you save
or protect your passwords. it is simply just a reminder that there is a change a coming].

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
"... logging out and back in a couple of times." He says.

Me, thinking ... "If I log out, I'm likely not logging back in because I don't know my password." I THINK I know it, but if I'm wrong, then I'm screwed for getting back in.

Here goes! If you don't hear from me, I didn't know my password.

·
Super Moderator
David
4,984 Posts

Me, thinking ... "If I log out, I'm likely not logging back in because I don't know my password." I THINK I know it, but if I'm wrong, then I'm screwed for getting back in.

You should be able to do a password reset if you don't know it.

David

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just FYI, but if you don't have to log in each time you visit, then your browser is saving your password for you, and most browsers will allow you to see what that password is. It's generally found under the configuration/maintenance (whatever they might call it) and then under security settings and saved logins. Then you'll probably have to click an extra button to "show passwords". (I'm pretty sure I have personally tried this in the past with Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Safari.)

·
RAM Man
742 Posts
Excellent idea John. The last time WoodNet changed their website I was unable to log back into the new updated version because I couldn't remember my password. I had to create a new identity and lost well over a decade of postings.

·
The Nut in the Cellar
1,095 Posts
Same URL, just different forum software? My bookmark for here is not the home page, but the forum page. No issue with bookmarks and passwords, they are encrypted on an external drive to protect me from my feeble brain.

·
where's my table saw?
27,852 Posts
I use Firefox and Google Chrome for browsers

They both save my passwords.
There are 3 horizontal bars on the far right of Firefox toolbar, and when you click there a window opens and right under Library there is a Logins and Passwords option. There are all my saved passwords.
On Google, there are 3 dots on the far right, and when click on those a window opens and near the bottom there is an option Settings where are my passwords are save from Google.

As a backup, I write most passwords on Post It Notes and stick them in a spiral binder kept in a safe place.

:vs_cool:

·
Super Moderator
David
4,984 Posts
Same URL, just different forum software? My bookmark for here is not the home page, but the forum page. No issue with bookmarks and passwords, they are encrypted on an external drive to protect me from my feeble brain.
You may have to clear your cache and cookies to get it to work properly.

David

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have used the password manager LastPass for the past several months. The free version works just fine for me. Everything is stored in the cloud (which I had reservations about at first) but, I have found it to be very convenient and useful. I use a Linux OS most of the time and LastPass can be installed on most any of the browsers I use including Firefox or Chrome. If I need to switch to Windows for something, I have LastPass installed on Firefox there and all I need to do is put in my master password and all my other passwords are available and automatically filled in when needed. I can even switch to a different computer and do the same. LastPass isn't the only password manager that does this. My understanding is that password managers like this are more secure than the built-in ones offered by Firefox, Google, and others. Anyway, my password for WoodTalk.com is tested and works fine. Thanks

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I can echo what @yomanbill stated above.

I have no idea what my password is for WoodworkingTalk, but I can recover it at any time. It is very very long, and uses completely random lower case, upper case, digits, and special characters. Each website, application, and use has its own unique, long, strong, random password. I use a password manager.

My passwords are stored locally by the password manager, not "in the cloud." I am not fond of the idea of storing the "keys to the kingdom" in a publicly accessible space, no matter how secure. There are many subtle details and implications behind that statement, coupled with experience and discipline, but this forum is not an appropriate place for a masterclass on information security. Quality backups are an essential component of good personal data management practices.

I applaud those who use a password manager to generate and maintain unique strong passwords for each separate use. Some are free. Some cost money. Some are subscription-based. Choose one.

·
Registered
12,588 Posts

Every place that I have ever seen that requires a password has a place to recover. Look for the words "Forgot Password" and click on that.

George

·
johnep
1,996 Posts
I had to relogin with passwords given to me by site. I cannot find where I can change my profile details. Avartar change is there but not changing personal details and passwords.
I will be out until I find how to get back in on new format.
johnep

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I have a cheat sheet of over 60 passwords for sites, nothing saved on the PC
That's fine, provided that they are long, strong (truly random), and unique for each website or other use. The cheat sheet should be stored where it won't be found by burglars. They are not generally looking for password sheets, but if they come across it while searching for valuables, they may take it. Do you have a copy of it stored in a secure location offsite in case of disaster, such as a safe deposit box at the bank?

Considering that you must type them from your cheat sheet, they may not be long enough or random enough to be secure. That is why I recommend a password manager.

·
The Nut in the Cellar
1,095 Posts
You may have to clear your cache and cookies to get it to work properly.

David
We run CCleaner after every internet session, so all browser “stuff” is gone.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
it is quite silly to think people can remember all their real long nonsense passwords anymore.
when one needed 2-3 passwords, okay. but today everybody likely has dozens.

I keep all of mine in a plain old .txt file.
but WAIT!! there's More!!

since I take my laptop and/or tablet on the road and that's when (mostly likely) would need passwords, credit card numbers, account numbers. . . .
the .txt file is encrypted. with a really long but easy to remember key....

·
Registered
85 Posts
it is quite silly to think people can remember all their real long nonsense passwords anymore.
when one needed 2-3 passwords, okay. but today everybody likely has dozens.

I keep all of mine in a plain old .txt file.
but WAIT!! there's More!!

since I take my laptop and/or tablet on the road and that's when (mostly likely) would need passwords, credit card numbers, account numbers. . . .
the .txt file is encrypted. with a really long but easy to remember key....
Excellent! I did something sorta like that before I started using the password manager. Only I didn't make it encrypted. You already may be doing this. I made it a little more convenient by putting the URL in the list so that I could copy the password to the clipboard, then click on the URL and then paste the password into the login.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts