Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok i really wont make you guess. I asked my local WC store where to buy rough cut lumber at a good price. He told me 2 places. One close by. I actually had been there before. Very nice place. I had been to another place when i built my bench. That place is more like a mill. Not as big of a selection.
Oh yea. The mill was not the other place recomended tp me.

So the pictures show what i bought at both places. Now kicker is. Both cost about the same.
One place. 8 bf of cherry, 4 bf sapele, and 8 bf of soft maple

The other.
4 8ft 1 1/4x10 boards of black walnut
7 1x6x8ft oak
1 1/2 x 8 8ft Cherry
4 more of different sizes Cherry

Now the first place is ready to use and the 2nd place has a bit more drying to do. Which is fine by me. I wont be ready to use them for a while.

Attachments

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They get some from time to time. I believe they always have ok and maple. Which sells for $1 a board foot. I pay 2.50 a board foot for the cherry. 3 or the black walnut. It is the air dry. And you do need to look around for the board you want. It's worth it for the price.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
There's always trade offs...one place is going to have it fairly ready to use...the other is going to require some additional work..... I don't know what you paid....but it doesn't surprise me the differences in quantity and quality.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
You're comparing apples to oranges here. In one pic you have dry, S2S lumber and in the other you have greener, rougher boards that you're not going to get full yield from due to the checking that is evident and the fact that you'll still have to do a fair amount of milling.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually. The first pic came from a rough cut lumber place. They offer to plane it for you. The oak i got is dry enough to use. I do understand there is some differences. Better selection and grade. Its ready to use. My purpose was to buy some stock for latter down the road. Get it at a cheaper price hopefully. Im really pleased about the black walnut. I hope to make a dining room table with it. Right after i get it into my daughters head the dining room table is not a work bench. Markers,knife marks from cutting,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts