Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Sun City,a retirement housing community.If you ever drive thru one,be careful.These older than me's don't stop at stop signs.I guess they are in a hurry because they don't have much time left. But when the drive right thru them ,they drive 20 mph in a 35.Go figure.Then they will be driving along on a thru street and stop all of a sudden to give the right of way to someone at a stop sign.

·
where's my table saw?
27,737 Posts
where I live

It's pretty rural here, and when there is zero traffic in either direction, I will "roll the stop", also known as a "Michigan" stop.
My view is that a stop sign or other traffic control device is to prevent accidents. It takes 2 vehicles to have an accident, and if I'm the only one there, an accident is statistically highly improbable ... your honor. :smile:

In the village there's a stop sign in a 3 way intersection, and a very wide white line where you are supposed to stop.... yeah right. People will stop a whole car's length after the white line making a left turn from their right side impossible without driving all the way around them...grrrr.:thumbdown:
I have stopped in directly front of the idiot in the Mercedes and told him in no uncertain terms to back the "f" up to the white line OR I'm not moving...I can and will wait. Other times I try to just wave the idiots who didn't stop, to go on ahead anyway, you're in my way now and I can't/won't drive around you because I don't trust you.

Some people think, well maybe they aren't thinking, that they are the only ones on the road...NOT.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I aint making an on the scene issue of it.people will shoot ya,thanks Cab!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Even though I probably have more accident free miles on one cheek of my butt than the entire rest of the forum has on its collective body thanks to many years as an over the road trucker, I still make the occasional mistake. Sometimes I'll stop past the white line because of things blocking my view. It doesn't prevent an accident if I stop at the line, and seeing nothing because of the hedge in my line of sight, then pull out in front of an oncoming car.

BTW, you come up to my car to start something because you think I'm an idiot, you will get shot and left in the middle of the road to bleed, period. I'll go home and have my lawyer call the police to report the incident. (the instructor in my CCL class suggested doing it that way.)

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have been known on a daily basest to drive under the speed limit when I see a speeder coming up on my tail.

I wish people would not run the red lights, T boned a guy at 45 almost 2 years ago bc he took a left pg green at a red turn arrow and his excuse to the cop was "it had just turned red a second ago". Yellow means slow down repair to stop. NOT speed up. People need to slow down in life and enjoy it.

And yeast stop signs also piss me off when people coast thru them

·
Registered
611 Posts
Complete stop. I do it mostly to piss the other drivers off.
Same here. I also stop when no one is there. I'm not sure why. Part of it might be my altar boy background. (Yes, I was an altar boy in the Catholic church for 6 years.) I just have this guilt complex. Will residents see me break the law through their front windows? Is Father Connelly in the shrubs with binoculars watching for an opportunity to whack me with his ruler?

Another part of it is a respect for the rule of law. There's tons of laws I don't like or think need tweaking. But if we all pick and choose which ones we want to follow then whats the point of the rule of law? You just have anarchy.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
BTW, you come up to my car to start something because you think I'm an idiot, you will get shot and left in the middle of the road to bleed, period. I'll go home and have my lawyer call the police to report the incident. (the instructor in my CCL class suggested doing it that way.)
I had an incident about a year after I was discharged from the Army. I was on my way home from the shop about 8 PM (it was dark out), and headed on a three lane road in the outside lane. There was no immediate traffic coming in my lane. I saw in my rear view mirror a pickup truck with a camper topper coming up fast in the center lane, and then he cut in front of me and slowed down.

I didn't know if he was drunk or not, and he slowed to below the speed limit, so I moved over to the center lane. Just as I did that, he sped up and cut me off again, got in front of me, and slowed back down. I'm thinking this guy is an idiot. So, I changed lanes to the inside lane, and he did the same thing.

At this point, I had enough. I sped up, got around him, and he sped up. As we approached a red light, with him on my tail, I slammed on the brakes. I watched him attempting to stop, and his truck slid sideways to avoid hitting me. I had this big grin on my face. As I cruised up to the red light, a different car pulled in behind me, and I lost sight of his truck momentarily.

While the light was red, all of a sudden he is standing outside my drivers window banging on the glass. My car was a 1970 Pontiac Grand Prix, two door, and to open a big door, there would be no way for me not to get pounded. I had a 38 cal in the console, and took it out and held it at the glass pointing at his torso, and he kept yelling "Go ahead mother f####r, pull the trigger". There would be no way I could possibly miss. Besides it was the first brand new car I ever bought off a showroom floor. I didn't want to shatter the glass. And, firing off a revolver inside a car with all the windows shut would have been devastating.

I would have preferred to be out of the car and done some dosey doe with the guy. For me, nothing better than one on one (or two), more satisfying than shooting someone. Well, making a long story shorter, the light turned green, and I drove off. The next morning I called my attorney and told him what happened and asked about my liability. He said my life would have to have been in danger for me to shoot him. If I did, I would have been arrested, and likely still be in jail to this day. It's not easy to control our rage, or someone else's.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
I always stop. It's the law and it will save your keister the one time you miss that guy is hauling ass in your lane and you think he's in another lane, or he decides to change lanes half-way through the intersection, or swerves for a squirrel or some other stupid behavior.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a CCW to carry and in California that's saying something.(ex Peace Officer).I choose not to carry.(Why)?
#1.I have a little bit of a don't give a sh** attitude when being screwed with.
#2.I fear the law screwing over me if I use it.(Orange jump suits are not my idea of good fashion.
#3.I don't go into bad area's.
If I definitely had to travel into a crime ridden area,I probably would carry.(just my 380 in my back pocket.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
For stop signs, I stop fully if I can't see well, or if someone is coming. If I can see clearly and no one's in sight I slow significantly but don't usually come to a complete stop unless needed.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts