Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a zero clearance throat plate for my miter saw with two pieces of laminated hardboard (they give a matching thickness.)

Is there any reason this isn't safe?

Thanks.

·
Registered
27,653 Posts
You may have some difficulty with it warping or it may not be strong enough but I don't see anything dangerous about it. Personally I would probably use a piece of thin plywood or solid stock and cover it on both sides with Formica.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I had a planer. :smile:

You may have some difficulty with it warping or it may not be strong enough but I don't see anything dangerous about it. Personally I would probably use a piece of thin plywood or solid stock and cover it on both sides with Formica.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, here it is. I'm unhappy with it, it's visually imperfect. It's fairly smooth though, I sanded with 600.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Looks good to me. Only thing I see is it sits slightly low on one side? Use some strips of old playing cards as shim stock, or whatever if you have. Lightly glue as needed to level. Others have used dabs of hot glue, quickly leveling it with the saw table with a block of MDF or similar. Then just add the screws back in after a few minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts