Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build a self-standing shelf for storing tools in my hallway closet, because commercially available shelves do not fit the size and shape of the closet.

I'm probably going to use a few pieces of plywood and some 2x4s like in the link.

What's the best way to attach the plywood to the 2x4s? Is there a solution that makes it easy to adjust the height of the plywood? Is 2x4s the best choice as the vertical posts?

http://www.diy-guides.com/wp-conten...e-shelf-www.flickr.com-Desktop-Resolution.jpg

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
i have some big free standing shelves like what you are talking about in my garage. they are 6 1/2' tall and 8' wide. i just used 1/4-20 carriage bolts for mine. if i ever want to change the height of a shelve, i would just drill new holes.

on mine, the plywood is not attached, it just sits there on the cross pieces. if i wanted to attach it, i'd just use some small nails.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I built something similar a year or so ago. I actually need to build some more. I just used 2x4s and 1/2 ply. I am not sure of the exact dimensions. It is some where around 8 feet long by 7 feet tall. The shelves are probably 24"x7 1/2 feet long. It works well and was easy to build.

·
Registered
26,892 Posts
If it were me I would build the whole thing out of plywood and drill a line of holes on the sides (line bore) for adjustable shelves. That way you could put as many shelves as you needed in the spacing you need for what ever size spaces your needs change to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
48 to 52 inches tall, 20 to 22 inches deep (front to back), and 48 to 65 inches wide with 3 levels. I.e. each storage level will be 50/3= about 17 inches tall. I also will put stuff on top of the shelf so including the floor level there is actually 4 storage levels.

There ought to be some kit to make building custom shelf easy, but I don't know where to look. I come across something called shelflinks made by "2x4basics". Unfortunately, it can build shelf that is only 16 inches deep. I need 20 inches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts