Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't think I really needed a larger router table, but you all make me drool with your woodworking toys and talents.

Here's a 36" x 32" router table with an extruded aluminum fence I've been tinkering with that's still in the rough. The fence height is 5 3/16" tall.

The extruded aluminum is scrap I found at work. It has t-slots on its faces, but it's metric sizing.

The opening at the bottom will have a vacuum port on the back side. The fence is held down using t-bolts in the tracks with tightening knobs.

Don't know yet if I'll build a cabinet for it or just use a metal stand.

Any advice to trick this out is very much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,117 Posts
MW,
Looks like the start of a nice router table. You can't leave it on the metal stands, you need to build a nice cabinet to go with it. You should be able to find some metric hardware to fit your t slots. That's a solid looking chunk of aluminum you got there.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I'd be a little worried about that fence flexing. Are you sure it's stong enough? :laughing:

·
What Wood I Do
291 Posts
I am designing a new router table cabinet now. The advantages I see with a new cabinet style table over my old router table with a metal frame is plenty storage for all router accessories and bits plus the ability to build in an improved enclosed section for dust collection. I am also putting it on locking wheels for mobility.
I would recommend a good router plate with above the table lifting capabilities. I have a Jessem Master Lift on my current table and it is great.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
That looks very nice. Can you close the clearance on the bit with your fence? I would highly recommend limited clearance around your bit for safety and tearout reasons. But I think it looks great.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I built Norm's router cabinet. Last year I upgraded to a master lift and pc7518 so I made a new top for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the comments. I've posted a pic of the backside of the fence in case anyone was interested.

I was worried about tearout also due to the gap on the sides of the bit. I suppose I'll use some MDF to make a sliding set of shutters to close things up as needed.

Has anybody used this box joint jig? I think I can duplicate it but it might be alot quicker to just buy it. Rockler Router Table Box Joint Jig http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21338&utm_source=NL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=V0717

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts