Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted a few weeks ago with " what to build " and came out with a few suggestions but I ended up with this project..

So I have a 12' x 2' 5" counterspace built, stainless sink and some spare wood for drawers. What are the suggested ways of weather sealing drawers though?

Also are there any suggestions / tips about doing tile outdoors like this? Woodworking...I'm solid... but this is out of my realm of knoledge.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Hi Kelv,

How about some pics of what you've done so far?

It would make it much easier for us to answer your questions and make suggestions.

:)

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you use tile on your counter, I would use cement board as an underlayment. There are other products (schluter) that may be available at the local box store, but I have never used them and they get mixed reviews. Also on the verticle surfaces don't try to adhere tile direct to the plywood.

If your counter area includes a BBQ, be careful to protect your deck from burning embers etc. You may want to check your local code if that is of interest to you.

I like doors with shelves and not drawers for the outside application. Sometimes a pair of stainless doors can do wonders to the finished product.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking somehow attaching a weather strip around any door / drawer faces and then using hardware like a camper would have, secure locking it tight and slightly compressing the weather strip.

Is there a certain type of grout or special steps to do to the tile afterwards to keep it from soaking water into the grout and freezing in the winter?

I just finished the last couple hours putting oil based primer to the whole thing before moving on. Between all the 5" round PT posts and the anchors, there is 16bags of 80lbs concrete. Preasure treated plate and nothing but 1" 9ply front/back/sides and top.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't think its what you do to the grout rather what type of grout you use. Silicone can be used to treat grout periodically to help with water.
However, there are some epoxy grouts and others that are now made for exterior applications and help repel water and claim to not need sealing. See what you local supplier has to offer.

This is another reason why you want some type of cement board. So the water doesn't get in there and freeze and lift the tile.

Rather than drawers I would put in cabinet doors with shelves and then use buss boy trays on the shelves to store all small items kind of like a drawer. Doors will be easier to seal than drawers. You may get some inspiration looking at boat hardware sites.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I saw this video the other day. If you're considering stone, it's a good how-to. They also added doors and shelves to the bar.

·
Tool Fanactic
1,899 Posts
You could wrap the whole thing in kerdi or wedi and it will never get past that.

Cement board will just put off the inevitable demise of the substrate.

Urethane or epoxy grout will work good, but a stone or solid surface top would be better.

I would probably use noble deck over the ply wood first. Oh, you primed it all, not much will stick now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts