Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Disston's, Jackson saw cleanup

Have acquired a few Disston made saws, the one that I am working on is a back saw stamped Jackson.
Purchased with a Perfection miter box model 456 Pat. date Dec 23,02.

From the ad the saw was originally with the miter box, what threw me off was the saw has split nuts which where not made in that time frame.

Some work is ahead of me, Gilgaron posted a thread of some excellent work on another back saw, which turned out excellent, hope mine comes out half as good.

On it's way after making a screwdriver for the split nuts.

Someone on another forum says that is not a Jackson type handle,
If that is the case I might op to find the more recent and studier screws.

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
Looking good Cowboy you can take the back of the plate if you want, so that you can clean the plate real good.
Fasten the plate in a metal workers vice use soft jaws in the vice and tighten it real hard get a block of hard wood and place it against the metal back on the left hand side and with a heavy hammer knock it upwards go to the right hand side and do the same, keep doing it and the back will come off.

Now you can clean that plate real good,now that you have the back off, run your eye along the plate how does it look is it straight or is there a slight curve in it.

You can take the curve out of the plate but let that come.

If your going to make a new handle for it I`ll give you a tip make it round and when you think it is round enough, make it rounder be bold and you will be amazed at just how comfortable it is in your hand, have fun enjoy it. Billy.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I am almost done with Jackson saw, do have a set of Disston warranted brass screws, not the split nuts coming.
May replace the split screws for a more sturdier set up..?

Then next to the miter box cleanup, want to do the wood in walnut, or birch depends on practicality for I do plan on using it for on the spot molding cuts.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts