Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, newbie/lurker from 84, PA. Great forum! I am looking to build a doll display cabinet for someone and haven't had any luck finding any good plans or pictures to work off of. I don't necessarily need the plans so much as I need design ideas because of my lack of artistic vision/skill. I am thinking the cabinet will be in the range of 50" tall, 36" wide, and 15" or so deep. I am not tied to those dimensions and could scale anything up or down. Glass doors and glass sides. Any help on design ideas to get me going would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my Android

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
My "first impulse" thoughts:

1) Welcome! I suspect you're about to get more ideas than you know what to do with, though if you've been lurking you'll know that already.

2) I worked in retail for a while. Here are my thoughts based on display cabinets I worked with there.

If you're going to build this out of wood (most of the ones I saw were metal), I'd go with the strongest joinery possible. I'd probably use something like 3/4" x 2" material for each corner, oriented with the 2" dimension running front-to-back. Mortise in some kind of brace about halfway up. The front can be taken up by a door, and the back can be solid wood or 1/4" ply. I'd use solid wood for the top and bottom, and I'd probably build a recess into the top to house some low-voltage LED lights. They won't get as hot as the traditional halogens, but they'll give you almost as much light. The glass panels (though you might want to consider high-quality lexan; it's less breakable if you have to move the thing someday) will give some structure to the sides. I would set the glass in rabbets in the sides and door.

The reason for the 2" width on the side pieces is that you need a place to attach shelves. I'd advocate, at least on first thoughts, for either attaching shelf standards or drilling holes for those little shelf holding doohickies -- I have no idea what they're called. That way the shelves can be moved, which will only turn out to be necessary if you permanently fix the shelves.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Great points amck. I like your idea about using 2" in the various areas. All of that gets me on a good start. And I never used lexon before. I will definitely look into that.

Thanks for the pic cabinetman. I like the idea of a mirror for the back. The rabbet idea on 2" posts is great. To clarify, were you thinking of being able to slide the shelves (glass) in and out of the cabinet with the doors open. And likewise cutting various rabbets for shelf options? Is that a good idea?

Sent from my Android

1 - 4 of 4 Posts