Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I had an idea for a new project I'd like to work on. I need a disc sander and I've always wanted a lathe. Both cost money I can't afford to shell out so I thought I could use my old girder to make both. Below is a sketch/rough idea of how id like it laid out. The problem is I usually lose steam once I hit a few road blocks on projects and end up giving up on them. So I'm hoping you guys could offer some tips and suggestions on how you would go about completing this project. Maybe with the right help I can bring myself to get this 100% completed. Thanks for looking and first post as well!

·
where's my table saw?
28,562 Posts
Please don't do it.

That setup is a disaster waiting to happen. Lathes require an aggressive grip on the work piece to keep it in place while considerable force is applied against the turning workpiece. Should it come loose it will become a hazard. A tool rest is also necessary and that's another source of mishaps. It must be very rigid.

A disc sander that turns at 3540 RPM is too fast as a rule, and will burn the material unless a coarse grit is used and cleaned often. It would be better to find a used lathe on Craig's List than to try to rig one up...just my opinion.

Reactions: FrankC

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I bought a good used Shop Smith for the very purpose. It has a 12 inch disk sander on one side of the motor and a lathe on the other. I picked it up for 100 buck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts