Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making a dirty marble game. My question is will a forester bite work for the holes or should I use a different drill bit.

·
7,222 Posts
I am not sure what a "dirty marble" game is, but if you want clean, smooth holes with a flat bottom, a Forstner bit is the best choice.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The marble games I played as a kid were metal trays with a detent around the hole to hold the marbles but still allow fingers to grab them. I would suggest drilling a round bottomed hole with a rounded router bit in a drill press or a rasp bit.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I am making a dirty marble game. My question is will a forester bite work for the holes or should I use a different drill bit.
Hi Miike - I don't know the game either so I had to google it. All the pictures I found of the boards had round bottom detents for the marbles. Given that, I would also suggest the core box bit for routers. You could use one in a drill press but the speed is much lower so there would likely be some tearout. The detents also appear to be fairly close together also so if you go with the template/guide bushing approach, you may need two complementary templates that can be reliably positioned on the workpiece(s).
Good Luck:smile:

·
John
3,028 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions, I just ordered the checker drill bit from Rockler.
Did you mean "marble" drill bit. The marble bit looks like the ticket and a new one on me. I didn't know such a thing existed. :blink:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes

I meant marble look at it on line it is new to me also, but as the song say, Life is a dance you learn as you go. I post how it irks and a pic of the finished product.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts