Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just built a kitchen table for a customer and I don't have very much experience in selling so I was wondering how much you would pay for it or expect to get paid to do a project like this. it is built with 2x8's and 4x4 legs it is 73 inches long by 42.5 inches wide and 31 inches high. I have stained it with dark walnut and 3 coats of varathane.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used all pocket hole joinery and I only build from reclaimed wood so I don't pay for the wood as well I paid 20 for stain and 20 for verathane 20 in bolts about 15 in screws as well as 15 in leg braces and about 20 in sandpaper no clue about power and about 8 full working days to built and put together. I am unsure as I use reclaimed wood and it is very hard to work with I am also confused about how much I should pay myself

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
actually we did talk costs and I believe I lost my shirt on this one. I wanted to get my name out there so I thought it would be a lot easier than it was and sold this for 250.00. as for joinery what would you have done I would like to know a few new tricks if you have any advice on the subject please. I did build my own table 4 years ago and haven't had a problem yet so I thought it would be ok

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
still no reply for a price range any ideas I have two more I have to build and just wonder what kind of quote I should give thanks

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
250s fine for me. but i get discounts on fasteners and such because im a comercial business. i built one for a neice with 4 benches for $250. i also use reclaimed wood.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes but materials cost over 200 and it took me to weeks to finish so I lost money instead of making anything I cannot do that especially for strangers when I have no other income the only other guy in my town that does this is selling a coffee table for 1000.00 I am just wondering if I might be missing something nobody wants to work for free

·
Registered
14 Posts
Let me preface by saying I'm not an expert by any means. I wouldn't even consider myself an amateur by any means. With that said, here's what I see:

Materials cost: $110 ($40 for stain/finish, $50 in hardware, $20 in sandpaper) as you stated in Post #3.
Labor: 8 full days (I'm assuming 8 hour days?), so 64 hours.

Not counting overhead (utilities, tooling cost, etc), if you sold the table for $250, you would be working for $2.19/hour. That might be fine, if this is just a hobby and you're making these because you enjoy it. But if you're considering this your full-time job, then $2.19/hr is a pretty low wage. Consider what your time is worth to you (monetarily), then try to sell the table for materials + your labor rate.

Lastly, one thing I've learned from being here is that pocket screws may put a table together quickly, but might not last forever. Maybe you could charge more if it was put together with better joints?

Again, this is coming from someone who is not experienced in either woodworking or business.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I charge for materials at retail price and $40 an hour. Time is a rough estimate of what I think it will take me. I'm usually pretty close though. Can't say I've ever taken that long to build something either though...

Pocket screws were a bad idea as well. Better do some research on better methods before going any further. You may end up destroying your reputation before you even get started.

And if there's a guy selling a coffee table for that much, then there's no reason for you to sell so cheap. You won't be able to match him until you get his reputation though.

My .02

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think Black540i and Schmee covered it. What wage do you need to survive, I don't know how one can survive for less than $30/hr but that varies on the region and personal financial situation of course.

64 hrs @ $30.00 = $1,920.00
Shop supplies = $110.00
Wood depending on type, (even if you don't pay for it there is full value) = say $500.00 ???

$2,530.00

To sell and compete you will have to cut cost somewhere. I think the only place will be labour, either faster or cheaper.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Oh, I didn't say in my last post, I like the table. I like that style. Someday I might try to build one, if I ever finish the cabinets, :laughing:.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Labor: 8 full days (I'm assuming 8 hour days?), so 64 hours.
Might depend, too, on how much of that work was going through steps in an efficient manner vs. trying to figure things out. If you were learning during the project, maybe that time doesn't really count.

(I realize we all learn constantly but I mean if this is the first customer project you ever made, some part of that might be more educational than project work).

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I think if it took that long to build, you may be in the wrong profession. Seriously. You have to take into consideration whether or not you have the tools and skills to produce a good product the customer will be pleased with, and do it in a timely manner.

It would probably take me 8-10 days, but I am retired and no way do I work an 8 - 10 hour days on any day.

Cost for your supplies seem high to me $20 for sandpaper and $15 screws? How many hundreds of pocket screws did you use? What type of pocket hole jig did you use?

So, where do you go from here? Suck it up and move on. You gained some experience that hopefully will help in the future.

Note: I have only built one table top and boy was it heavy and it wasn't as wide or long as yours. The customer installed it on their frame. I simply built a replacement top out of 8/4 hard maple. I used biscuits, glue and clamps.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
I see lots of tables like that in the "antique" stores around here, usually butt joined and nailed/screwed, cheap pine with no pre-stain so it looks pretty meh. They usually sell for 250-300. For what they are I think that's a fair price. A lot of times I'll even see them make the legs/bases out of 2x4's laminated together, and they'll leave the rounded edge on so it's blatantly obvious that it's construction grade crap lumber and they don't care about the end results.

When you make your first thing to sell, you learn a lot. You should now be able to make a similar table in a quarter the time, and with some better joinery sell it for more.

What it all comes down to is the fit and finish. Nobody wants to pay top dollar for something that's going to fall apart in a year, they want to pay top dollar for something they can have for life.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Where I am, a lot of people make these table with reclaimed antique heart pine and I believe they typically start around $750

I see lots of tables like that in the "antique" stores around here, usually butt joined and nailed/screwed, cheap pine with no pre-stain so it looks pretty meh. ... I'll even see them make the legs/bases out of 2x4's laminated together, and they'll leave the rounded edge on so it's blatantly obvious that it's construction grade crap lumber and they don't care about the end results.
You must be hanging around them Tuscaloosa parts. :thumbdown: You should head over to Auburn where there's a bit more class ;)

·
Lancer
1 Posts
Dinning table.

Leanneb. I read all the posts and replies on your question of cost. First, I would like to say that for your first table project, it looks great. I like the style and colour. The other posts have answered the question regarding cost so I won't repeat them. I will say that for your next table, if you learn and incorporate some joinery and the result is the same, you could ask a fair price for the table. I would pay $500 or more for a similar table. :smile:

I have just built a kitchen table for a customer and I don't have very much experience in selling so I was wondering how much you would pay for it or expect to get paid to do a project like this. it is built with 2x8's and 4x4 legs it is 73 inches long by 42.5 inches wide and 31 inches high. I have stained it with dark walnut and 3 coats of varathane.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts