Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, would like to share my first furniture build with you. Enjoy.

Well proud to say i’m finally done with this thing and am able to (almost) use it. It’s been about 2 months in the making. Probably realistically, time wise, took about 2-3 weeks if i didn’t have setbacks. I started off originally with a 3/4” top which i tried gluing in 2 sections then gluing together to form a big panel, needless to say it didn’t pan out and that’s waiting to be turned into something. 2 weeks of acclimating wasted, not to mention other time. I didn’t give up and got some more material this time 8/4 sapele.

This really tested both my patience and my skill. Previous to this the only item’s I’ve really built were boxes and such. Did a lot of practicing, researching, YouTube etc. I think it came out okay.

Mortise and tenons for the legs also pinned with dowels.

Woods used were sapele for the top, maple for the breadboard ends and aprons, and genuine mahogany for the legs. Cool info about the maple- My supplier, has TONS of various hardwoods, you name it they have it, except for figured maple, they don’t have much, whatever they have is either rough cut (which isn’t good for me as i don’t have a jointer) or not very good quality. So every time i go in since I’m such a nut for flamed maple, i dig through every piece of the “hard maple” rack and ALWAYS find a killer piece that for some reason ends up there instead of the figured maple pile. I can usually spot the figuring on the side of the stack ;). That’s how i happened on the aprons and also the breadboards ends. I dug for at LEAST 2 hours through a 4×4” bin of 16’ 8/4 maple to find that piece and it WAS worth it.

The table is 48”x43”x38”. Was originally going to be over 50” long but do to a mess-up on one of my breadboard ends i had to cut a few inches off and start over. LOTS of hand planing the top, probably 3 hours just in that alone.

One application of trans tint vintage maple then sanded back then re-applied on the maple, 2 coats danish oil on the whole table, 2 coats of satin poly on the whole table. I had to sand the top down a few days ago because i accidentally sanded through the oil :x.

Overall, I’m probably about 75% happy with it, first time building a piece like this. I knew there would be error and mistakes. There is a gap at the BB ends which bugs me but I’ll live with it.

One more thing, i had a small offcut from the op 12”x12” that i wasn’t too sure what to make of it. turned into a napkin holder

Long read and i apologize, but i do hope you enjoy. I can’t take all the credit though, my 4 year old son helped a bit cleaning up and planing!











 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,718 Posts
Well Done I like the little bit of blister look in the Sapele an Figured Maple you cant go wrong :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Done I like the little bit of blister look in the Sapele an Figured Maple you cant go wrong :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Me too, the sapele didn't really say "wow" when i picked it out but it sure did when i hit it with oil! Same for the maple. The 2 hours of digging through that stack paid off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
If you felt you wanted to make it longer, you could cut it in half at 90-degrees of grain, and add a contrasting or same type wood as an extension.

Not that such is a must, maybe your room or needs are fine with the present length. YOU IS BOSS........

Nice build,

Dale in Indy
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top