Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its for a friend that just wants a table. Using pine since I get plenty free and just helping a friend. Heres a pic of mostly what the top is going to be boards are cut laying on floor viewing purposes.

question about apron. Im going to glue apron to top but was wondering if this was a good way to build the apron. I don't have a lot of tools and this will be easy to do and seems like it would be strong since a good bit of glueing area. Apron is going to be 2x4 I drew a simple sketch to ask my question.

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
DON'T GLUE!!! apron to top.....Wood moovvees all the time and it will either warp or split the top if glued (past experience talking!!). Make it "float".... there are several good option/techniques....I use screws snugged but not too tight and bore over sized shank holes so when the top moves it doesn't bind on the apron /skirt. Some use table top metal clips designed for this purpose, others make their own wood clips. But any professional will say "NO to the Glue" for this application.

By the way...Nice Top and design!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I will look into other methods I was thinking it would give it some rigidness doing it like that but I definitely don't want it to split later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts