Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of passing for a dummy, I know I should know this stuff by now but can someone explain designations like, 6/4, 8/4 etc? Are we talking 1.5" and 2"?

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
At the risk of passing for a dummy, I know I should know this stuff by now but can someone explain designations like, 6/4, 8/4 etc? Are we talking 1.5" and 2"?
Quarters are used for hardwood dimensions. Softwoods are referred to in nominal dimensions, example...2x4= 1½"x3½".

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Cheapness....recently I got some 2x4's that were only 3 3/8 inch wide....

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Lumber dimensions are given in the rough. Hardwood thicknesses are measured in quarters. A 1x4 was actually 1" x 4" when rough cut but surfaced it will be 3/4" x 3 1/2". At 8" and wider, the lumber association allows it to finish out at 7 1/4", 9 1/4", 11 1/4" not 7 1/2", etc. Pricing of lumber is based on the rough dimension, not the surfaced dimensions, although construction and surfaced lumber may be priced by the piece, it's still based on the original rough dimensions.

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
Cheapness and corner cutting..

BUT, the way in which it is marketed is..

The nominal measure is the measure before dressing the wood. An 1/8" is lost on each face that is dressed.

That could make sense if
1) it were consistent, ... it is not 4/4 is anywhere from 13/16 - 11/16.
2) Ply is never, never consistent in thickness. Nominal 1/2 ply is even down to 3/8".

Best advice always measure, lose a 1/16 here and a 1/16 there and you are off 1/8. That can add up quickly if you are doing furniture and assume you have been told the truth.

But then no one is listening to your phone calls either (yeah right)...

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I don't see an issue with it...if your building furniture grade pieces you should know enough to measure and account for it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
but why the shift at "8 inches" wide? Is it because once you start getting wider than a 1x6 it's harder to clean the boards up without losing more than 1/2"? It's a 1/4" why lose the consistency? I've just always wondered what actually caused the change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts