Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thank you for the insights and I totally agree for some of these ideas the customer may not know what they want until they see it. I am thinking more specifically of how these technologies may end up at home or in smaller end shops. It is also great to understand the frustrations with current applications that woodworkers currently face. Understanding the inconveniences may help in identifying and evaluating some of these cutting edge solutions that I am researching.

For example with CAD software what software do woodworkers currently use and how could they improve it? Having talked to other woodworkers I know there has been a demand for simpler CAD software. There are solutions out there such as Sketchup but they not fully address needs such as a cut list and amount of material needed. Having talked to other woodworkers, there has been interest in 3D scanning software but skepticism on how you would accurately capture the interiors of certain cabinets / drawers.

Another potential idea that has come up is a custom cutting service (the specific technology used is not important per say). The idea is if you want a custom carved pattern or extra precision for a certain project you can get it done through a kiosk or online, pick it up in store or get it delivered to your home. I know some shops / companies already do this, but I am sure there is also room for improvement. This type of service could make sense if owning cnc related equipment is considered an occasional need and people do not yet want to invest in the equipment. What would woodworkers like or want to see in such a process would they ever consider using it especially for some repetitive / precise patterns.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am a hobbyist. I build whatever my family wants or needs....I am not in this for profit....I am 62 and retired (IT systems manager for one of the top 5 V.A. med centers in America). Frankly, I don't want any high tech help. I am not being bitter about this.....but, if I wanted more computerized systems in my wood working, I would have never retired from the hospital......that's just my opinion......

Having said that, I do love my SawStop......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
3D Design Software

I know many of you work with CAD. Some have mentioned a one stop solution for 3D design with materials and cut list. How else can 3D design software be improved. What are some of your frustrations with the software you currently use.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts