Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be an advantage of using oak or something instead of pine. I have a color of stain I like and don't know what good it would do me to use something else. I know there are fancy grained woods but oak isnt to my eye not a big enough difference to pay the money for it when I get plenty of pine free. Just starting a discussion open to all opinions. I am going to get a router and dovetail jig soon and then will be starting my chest.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Oak will last longer but also look at maple figured on craigs list I fount some for $4.00 bf this year so look around, as I look at things P:sick: is good to practice with but to make something stand out go to the better woods :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Talking to different people most seem to dislike pine but no one has given me a reason they just always say try something better. I am up for trying something better just want to understand why I want to if that makes any sense at all. Durability is definitely one plus.

·
Registered
527 Posts
There's really nothing wrong with pine, it's just real soft. Kind of a bitch to stain sometimes too. It's always come out a little too blotchy for me.

·
Registered
12,991 Posts
What would be an advantage of using oak or something instead of pine. I have a color of stain I like and don't know what good it would do me to use something else. I know there are fancy grained woods but oak isnt to my eye not a big enough difference to pay the money for it when I get plenty of pine free. Just starting a discussion open to all opinions. I am going to get a router and dovetail jig soon and then will be starting my chest.
For what are you going to use the wood? What wood to use is highly dependent upon use.

George

·
Registered
155 Posts
What kind of chest and for what use? Tool chest for shop, blanket chest for home use and possible heirloom/hand me down item, pirate chest for kids, etc.

Pine is great and you can spray stain it to get the correct color and tone. It is soft and may not be the right choice for something that you might want to hand down because it will get that banged up "patina" :laughing::thumbsup:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want to build a blanket type chest with a slight arched top. I know pine isn't as tough as hardwoods just not understanding why so many people dislike it. Eventually I am going to build a heirloom chest but im not ready for that yet, my skills are not what I want them to be for that. That one will be out of some hardwood.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is sweet. I don't think my skills are that good yet. Im trying to step up to better quality stuff instead of just throwing stuff together with nails and screws.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That is sweet. I don't think my skills are that good yet. Im trying to step up to better quality stuff instead of just throwing stuff together with nails and screws.
What do you think I did there? This is a child's plaything. The box was thrown together with nails and glue ;):laughing:

Go for it, try out your first chest in pine and learn all the planning and quirks that come up along the way. Then when you feel more comfortable you'll be ready for the more expensive wood. Good luck and post some pics!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts