Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turned this yesterday. It is the first I ever turned and there are several mistakes, especially the sphere. One good point is the way the sphere was hollowed out it is thin, thin. Used the little termite tool and it did a great job. Another thing I was proud of is the finish, used the Beall buffing system and on this plain piece of wood the finish is fantastic. Little b this is best I can do for now as far as hanging the piece and taking a close picture of it, but I am working on it. Mitch

Attachments

·
Just call me Sir
287 Posts
Hi Mitch looks good mate, makes a nice change to see you using a diff finish, and you sound happy about it.
Okay you can improve on it, but we all try to do that, and if you had not said anything about the sphere then most would just put it down to design, does not have to be perfect sphere, in fact disign wise its best to not have a perfect round and more of an oval type, just keep playing around with the wood or draw a few doodles help the mind on design.:thumbsup: LB.. nice mitch..

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi b
Thanks mate(wink) Yes I like the finish the buffing does and much less work. I explained why I have to use the sealers on wet wood. I will not wait for no wood to dry.
Yes, your right about the sphere not needing to be perfect but I set out to make a sphere and didn't do a good job of it, that is why I was concerned. I was told by another very active turner, whose opinion I respect very much like your own , the same thing you said. After I posted this picture I went out and tried to make a sphere again and, mate, you can't beat this baby, it looks perfect. Wish I could show you this one.
Question? I am using very common everyday wood to make these ornaments with and was wondering if I could use dye to make them look better.My question is, do you have any suggestions in using dye on things like ornaments? Thanks again mate, carry on. Mitch

·
Just call me Sir
287 Posts
Alsorts of stuff about mitch, there are dye's for the wood turner and are blenderble to, as on the wood. you can use acrylic art paint thin this down to a water thin, also permanent colour markers, burn parts of the wood, small gas torch or a pryo burner as well for design, chances are that you can use food cake color as well mitch, i used it at one time when i did black and white photography and handpaint the pics. so there is no reason why not then seal after drying, you could use an acrylic spray over to seal, have a go with anything you might think of on a scrap bit of wood first if not sure..Mitch if you get enjoyment out of what you do then its great, if you can improve and learn more as you go then its even better, i scout the net for turners webpages i have tons of them, i look for ideas and how something is done, never stop looking never stop learning, and one day i might get good. We all want to get better in what we do, if you settle for well its okay then you might as well stop. You look you ask you learn mitch, thats the way..cheers bud say hi to the wife. LB..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts