·
John
3,028 Posts
I get concerned if I'm NOT over budget AND behind schedule.:eek:

Reactions: MasterSplinter

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm not sure I want to count shop hours as it's just pure relaxation for me so why count.

·
Registered
336 Posts
YES.... I started to build a small bar for myself, 10 years ago, still not finished.

·
Chairman of the 'Board
285 Posts
I always take far longer than I anticipated. Some of that is due to laziness but a lot is because I change the design mid-project. My Sprinter build out is that way. I finally have the tank rack/shelf/work table finished... except for the battery holder for all my canister diving lights. Part of the problem is also that it's a mixed project. Wood, electronics and some mechanical changes. I'm in no hurry and I like the process..

·
Registered
34 Posts
YES.... I started to build a small bar for myself, 10 years ago, still not finished.

Thanks for sharing! I'm just putting the finish on a tall dresser that I started 4 years ago. Thougt I might be the only one working on a project in terms of years rather than hours,days, or weeks.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I take my budget and timeline....double the budget and multiply the time frame times 4.....then I add a few weeks.

Usually that's still not enough money nor long enough time. Lol.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sometimes I have worked for what came out to less than minimum wage. A couple times I really blew it on bids, but by explaining the problem to the customer, they actually volunteered to pay more....so at least I wasn't in the red. Time and materials is so much easier.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You have got to be kidding me!!!! I add weeks, months, even years in some cases....and I am still always wrong!

Don

P.S.

I was in Kamloops this summer. Never thought I would encounter someone from there.
Hah! That time addition is just for work...I have several personal projects that date back 4 years that I aven't even started.
Hope you enjoyed your time here in the BC desert.

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
Always. When someone wants me to build them something, I always always say " now, you know I'm slow". Most people understand.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I'm an optimist... It always takes more time the planned. Every project teaches me more...

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Of course it does! It is so easy to mentally leap-frog through a build. I have nearly perfected it.

A pair of Diamond #271 Hook knives to be converted into a pair of Haida-style crooked knives for wood carving. Cut down the bevels to carving sharp, made the glue-ups for the handle blanks, drilled out the rivets, got the blades out, shaped the handle/haft/ wood, set up the hafts, epoxy and whip finish. Just one pair of blades, 2 days.
BUT. I am really pleased with the build. Next is to hack off the hooks for a nice sweep.

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
Every single thing I build takes longer than I thought....every damn time.
With personal projects it don't hurt nothing but my pride...but at work it's just embarrassing.

So now I just take that number in my head and add an hour or two.;)
I am with you. A better question would be "Have you ever built something that did not take LONGER than expected?".

George

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
So yes it appears like everyone under estimates time.

I figure my time and then add extra to try and break the pattern. It works pretty good as long as its the only project. My problem is I can't say no and I take on to many projects or favors.

Then there's always that one project that you have to rush and everything possible will take longer and cost more. That one I just had and it was truly the job from HELL!!!!!

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,587 Posts
Always. When someone wants me to build them something, I always always say " now, you know I'm slow". Most people understand.
That is exactly how I am with others... I tend to list off a few projects I'm currently working on to put it into perspective....

I'm an optimist... It always takes more time the planned. Every project teaches me more...
At least you are still learning.:thumbsup:

Yeah.... all my projects take longer, mostly because some of them are put on the back burner, because some "emergency" has come up, or priorities change. Like someone said earlier though... my shop time is therapeutic, so I really don't care how long it takes. You can tell by some of my old threads that still aren't finished...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts