Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone... I am new to the forum and starting to ramp up some wood working tools. I bought a JET JDP-17MF drill press and got, what I thought was a great deal on it. The press came with an attachment to drill bowling balls.

I mistakenly thought the attachment was mounted to the adjustable table... I ws mistaken, it was mounted directly to the foot of the press. There is no table or chuck key. Just the press and stand... see pics.

Is there an aftermarket solution I can get for this press? Recommendations... I appreciate the insight.

Thanks for looking....

Bruce

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
If it were me, I'd probably start by contacting Jet to see if you can get the missing table and parts for it. If you don't have a manual for it, search for one online.

I would look at it this way: I'd forget what I paid for it, I can't get that money back. If buying the parts would cost less than buying another drill press, that is the way I'd go.

·
where's my table saw?
31,501 Posts
If you can't "find" or order the parts from Jet, then if you know the column diameter you have a few options.
Find another parts drill press table from Ebay.
If it has a slightly small diameter hole it can be machined out by a machine shop.
A slightly larger hole can be sleeved down with a brass him.
Older 15" Craftsman drill presses have a nice flat table with a hole on the rear. It clamps to the column with a threaded handle clamp.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
If you have a planer, it would be easy to make some "perfect" rectangle blocks from a 4x4. You can then stack them to make a different height "deck" to for different drilling operations.
Rectangle Font Parallel Diagram Line art

Before anyone says it would be unstable, they could be doweled to stay together when stacked.

·
Premium Member
A cat made me do it.
1,296 Posts
Hello everyone... I am new to the forum and starting to ramp up some wood working tools. I bought a JET JDP-17MF drill press and got, what I thought was a great deal on it. The press came with an attachment to drill bowling balls.
Welcome to the forum.

If the only option is buying new parts needed to restore it to a normal drill press it is likely not worth it, you could be better off returning the DP or selling it to someone that only wants to drill bowling balls.

Missing:
The table that moves up/down, that is made of several parts.
The toothed track that goes on the column to crank the table up/down.
The column, the silver and rusty part between the black base and the top, has been shortened. From the height of the black base I think the drill was originally a floor model, to give the table room to move you would need to get a column long enough to make it a floor model again.

If you can find one in your area the best bet would be a drill with a bad motor etc but with the parts you need.

Yes a DIY like @m.n.j.chell suggested can work, personally I wouldn't want that for a long term solution.

·
where's my table saw?
31,501 Posts
A clever guy could make a servicable table from plate steel, a section of pipe that's slitted and two nuts and a bolt.
You'd need a welder and a way to slit a 3" long section of tubing or pipe.
You'd end up making a part like this and welding it to the steel plate:
Household hardware Gas Auto part Metal Nickel

There are parts like this on Ebay:

Here's an entire table:

Here's the attachment bracket:

·
Registered
332 Posts
The column, the silver and rusty part between the black base and the top, has been shortened. From the height of the black base I think the drill was originally a floor model, to give the table room to move you would need to get a column long enough to make it a floor model again.
Good catch, Bob. I only looked at the thumbnails and didn't notice the height of the socket the column fits in and assumed it was a bench-top model. And, not seeing the toothed track on the side of the column, I figured it just had a basic table you had to move up and down by hand. I know I've seen benchtop models without the crank.

Searching the model number confirms this is a floor model, so as you said, someone cut it down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good catch, Bob. I only looked at the thumbnails and didn't notice the height of the socket the column fits in and assumed it was a bench-top model. And, not seeing the toothed track on the side of the column, I figured it just had a basic table you had to move up and down by hand. I know I've seen benchtop models without the crank.

Searching the model number confirms this is a floor model, so as you said, someone cut it down.
Great responses folks…

i
I downloaded a manual… Bob, you are right, it’s a floor vise. Someone shortened the shaft. To bring it back to factory with new parts would be over $400.

talking to a friend who is a machinist… will let you guys know next steps.

appreciate the professionalism and ideas!

·
where's my table saw?
31,501 Posts
By the way, you don't need the crank type attachment. On my Craftsman 15" floor model, I just give it a sharp tug and up it comes, one handed, the other hand is on the locking lever. You get used to it. My 20" Jet has a monster table and a hand cranks, thankfully.
ereplacement parts has the rack and the attachment head:

Arm Camera accessory Microphone Audio equipment Font

All kinds of column table attachments on ebay:

Another thought is to get a 2 way position table like this:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Great responses folks…

i
I downloaded a manual… Bob, you are right, it’s a floor vise. Someone shortened the shaft. To bring it back to factory with new parts would be over $400.

talking to a friend who is a machinist… will let you guys know next steps.

appreciate the professionalism and ideas!
Wow, I'm surprised you could bring it back to factory for around $400. I think it sells for $1,300 new. Maybe it would be worth it? I think you have to forget what you paid for it, that money is gone. So look at it this way: can you get something comparable for ~$400? If not, then $400 is the least expensive way to go. That assumes, I think, that it otherwise in good shape.

·
Premium Member
A cat made me do it.
1,296 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised you could it back to factory for around $400. I think it sells for $1,300 new. Maybe it would be worth it? I think you have to forget what you paid for it, that money is gone. So look at it this way: can you get something comparable for ~$400? If not, then $400 is the least expensive way to go. That assumes, I think, that it otherwise in good shape.
I don't know, but it's likely that column diameter is very common, lots of brands use it, so if you can find a drill being sold cheap because the motor etc is blown you could use the parts from it. But the shipping would be expensive, so you'd need to find one in driving range.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You could also buy locally (or order online) from a metal supplier steel tubing or pipe. I did a quick search and found a metal supplier that offers various diameters and lengths of tubing and pipe. I don’t know the diameter you need but a 6 foot section of 3” diameter steel was $86 plus shipping. They also had 4’ sections.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You could also buy locally (or order online) from a metal supplier steel tubing or pipe. I did a quick search and found a metal supplier that offers various diameters and lengths of tubing and pipe. I don’t know the diameter you need but a 6 foot section of 3” diameter steel was $86 plus shipping. They also had 4’ sections.
If your machinist friend is good with a welder, you could consider cutting the current tubing in half and adding a 4' section of 3" tubing in the middle of the top and bottom halves. You would have to build a custom table mounting bracket, but that might save you a fair amount of money vs buying a custom piece of round tubing.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If you have a planer, it would be easy to make some "perfect" rectangle blocks from a 4x4. You can then stack them to make a different height "deck" to for different drilling operations.
View attachment 439159
Before anyone says it would be unstable, they could be doweled to stay together when stacked.
my choice. it'll work fine without the factory table
either that or cut your losses and get another drill press

·
Interested Observer
1,221 Posts
Did you make a mistake? Probably. Without knowing what you paid for it, it is hard or impossible to say. Are you handy at repairing machinery? As a parts machine, looks like a good head, motor and base. But, if you paid running drill press money ($500-$800 after a cursory look) and not a discount for the special nature of the thing, it might be a beat.

·
Premium Member
6,147 Posts
Did I make a mistake buying this JET model JDP-17MF?

I am going to say yes. I just dont understand why people buy used equipment without being able to walk around and kick the tires. You are by far NOT the only one to do so. Sometimes it seems more common than I would have thought. Everyone has different interests. I am very into my woodworking. I have no desire what so ever to become a tool repair hobbyist. But I am not 'everyone'.
Anyway, I hope you can get this drill press repaired or gone without too much money or time into it.

Reactions: subroc
1 - 20 of 22 Posts