Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Man
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine wants me to build her a head board that fits a queen to king bed and she wants it out of solid hickory. As she's requesting this I'm looking less than thrilled. The dimensions are ridiculous; she wants it about 5 feet high, meaning I need to glue up a center panel about 36 to 42" tall by however wide a queen bed is. How in the world is this thing not going to just twist itself apart? Not to mention it's going to be a logistical nightmare. Does anyone have any options I can offer to her that can steer her down another road?

Bobby

·
Registered
43 Posts
Could you keep the headboard and bed separate and mount the headboard to the wall? Then you wouldn't need to worry about twisting.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Is it a flat or raised center panel? Have you explained to her the movement property of wood and had her consider hickory plywood, or a veneered center panel? I'd try to steer her down that road personally. Otherwise, you could be laminating thinner hickory strips into a larger panel to help reduce movement. That's got it's own issues, especially in appearance though. Maybe just tell her you don't work with Hickory? lol.

·
where's my table saw?
29,585 Posts
Here's a Queen size headboard I made

I used Oak plywood for the center panel(s) and qrt sawn Oak for the rails and stiles. The legs are removable if you take out the walnut plugs. It's designed to wall mount rather than support the bed:

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/mission-headboard-build-37911/

You can make as many panels as you need, just "float" them in a dado top and bottom to allow for movement. I didn't expect any movement with the plywood and glued them all in the dado and to eachother. So far, so good. It's heavy, but still manageable.

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
A friend of mine wants me to build her a head board that fits a queen to king bed and she wants it out of solid hickory. As she's requesting this I'm looking less than thrilled. The dimensions are ridiculous; she wants it about 5 feet high, meaning I need to glue up a center panel about 36 to 42" tall by however wide a queen bed is. How in the world is this thing not going to just twist itself apart? Not to mention it's going to be a logistical nightmare. Does anyone have any options I can offer to her that can steer her down another road?

Bobby
A number of years ago I built one almost as big as the one you describe. It was built out of solid oak. Did not twist itself apart. Do not know why it should.

Why would the logistics of that be any different than any other headboard in that size range?

Just be sure that you use thoroughly dry lumber.

George

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I just finished one out of maple. 6/4 maple and 3/4 maple ply for the field. No issues with twisting. The plywood looks great and serves the purpose of providing strength without worrying about movement.

Furniture Wood stain Wood Antique Hardwood

·
The Man
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ACP, if I could find a plywood with hickory vaneer that would be great, but I'm wondering where exactly you'd find it... would a hardwood supplier have it? Regardless, I like the idea of saying "Sorry, but nope!" :thumbsup:

Woodnthings, the weight is still a troubling aspect, but your headboard is a great idea I can show her! Certainly will be easier than gluing up a big pannel!

George, its a concern of weight. She lives in a house built in 1910. Though it has been completely updated, it still features a narrow straircase with a 90-degree turn. Additionally, if it acclimates to my shop then take it to her house and set it up, I'll put money that wood movement will be a factor.

Master, this is the style she wants. I want to use a plywood with a hickory vaneer, but like I said above, where do I find one?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
A good hardwood supplier should have hickory plywood.....if your having a hard time finding it call a few cabinet shops and ask them.....they'll have it from building hickory cabinets.

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
ACP, if I could find a plywood with hickory vaneer that would be great, but I'm wondering where exactly you'd find it... would a hardwood supplier have it? Regardless, I like the idea of saying "Sorry, but nope!" :thumbsup:

Woodnthings, the weight is still a troubling aspect, but your headboard is a great idea I can show her! Certainly will be easier than gluing up a big pannel!

George, its a concern of weight. She lives in a house built in 1910. Though it has been completely updated, it still features a narrow straircase with a 90-degree turn. Additionally, if it acclimates to my shop then take it to her house and set it up, I'll put money that wood movement will be a factor.

Master, this is the style she wants. I want to use a plywood with a hickory vaneer, but like I said above, where do I find one?
My sons headboard was made in my open garage in the Florida panhandle and then stay ed in the air conditioned house for a few years. Then it went for a few years to Tampa and is now is North Las Vegas.

Weight has nothing to do with how well it will turn a corner.l You can take a board up there and see if it will turn the corner.

George

1 - 13 of 13 Posts