Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need to cut large tree trunks into table tops and a friend suggested that he could build a diamond wire cutter like they use on granite blocks.

Does anyone know if diamond wire can cut through wood ? Does anyone have any experience in this?

Thanks,

·
where's my table saw?
29,191 Posts
The diamond wire cuts by abrasion....

A saw blade removes material by cutting the fibers and carrying away the chips. This would not happen by abrasion where the cut is water cooled and carries away the small particles. Look at the size of the teeth on a wood cutting mill or large bandsaw and you'll see the difference. There are diamond hacksaw blades that you could try, but I'm quite certain they won't work on wood fibers. :|

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
I mean, itll technically work, but its leave a really crappy cut on the wood, wander all over the place, and very likely destroy the diamond wire due to the heat buildup. Its like trying to cut wood with an angle grinder fitted with a cutoff wheel. Its technically possible, but not something you should do

·
where's my table saw?
29,191 Posts
Technically?

I mean, itll technically work, but its leave a really crappy cut on the wood, wander all over the place, and very likely destroy the diamond wire due to the heat buildup. Its like trying to cut wood with an angle grinder fitted with a cutoff wheel. Its technically possible, but not something you should do
It won't work "technically" what ever that means... theoretically?
Imagine filing wood with your wife's diamond nail file. Nothing is going to happen. Why reinvent the wheel when making a bandsaw mill using an actual wood cutting blade would take equivalent effort? Oh, you could attach large diamonds to a wire or cable, but the cost would be beyond breaking the bank. :surprise2:

Lot's of "likes" for a reply that makes no sense and no actual experience, only "opinion" to base it on. :|

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
It won't work "technically" what ever that means... theoretically?
Imagine filing wood with your wife's diamond nail file. Nothing is going to happen. Why reinvent the wheel when making a bandsaw mill using an actual wood cutting blade would take equivalent effort? Oh, you could attach large diamonds to a wire or cable, but the cost would be beyond breaking the bank. :surprise2:

Lot's of "likes" for a reply that makes no sense and no actual experience, only "opinion" to base it on. :|
tech·ni·cal·ly
ˈteknək(ə)lē/Submit
adverb
according to the facts or exact meaning of something; strictly.

So, it will work in that it will cut, hence, technically. Dunno why you felt the need to pick a fight on that, the definition is pretty well available. Google, perhaps?

·
where's my table saw?
29,191 Posts
I know the meaning of the word

tech·ni·cal·ly
ˈteknək(ə)lē/Submit
adverb

So, it will work in that it will cut, hence, technically. Dunno why you felt the need to pick a fight on that, the definition is pretty well available. Google, perhaps?
tech·ni·cal·ly
ˈteknək(ə)lē/Submit
adverb

You have not shown us any "facts' yet....
You used the word 'cut"not me.
It won't cut, it will abrade since it has no teeth to cut with. Kinda like when you loose your teeth and you have to"gum" your food, not that I know first hand, just seen it done. That's why I used the word "hypothetically" ..... it's your theory that it will cut. Go for it. Buy a tungston carbide hacksaw blade, like I have and try it. Then tell us how it worked. I'll be the first to apologize if it works. :smile2:

·
Smart and Cool
2,395 Posts
tech·ni·cal·ly
ˈteknək(ə)lē/Submit
adverb

You have not shown us any "facts' yet....
You used the word 'cut"not me.
It won't cut, it will abrade since it has no teeth to cut with. Kinda like when you loose your teeth and you have to"gum" your food, not that I know first hand, just seen it done. That's why I used the word "hypothetically" ..... it's your theory that it will cut. Go for it. Buy a tungston carbide hacksaw blade, like I have and try it. Then tell us how it worked. I'll be the first to apologize if it works. :smile2:
You OK today?

You are kind of acting like me... LOL

·
where's my table saw?
29,191 Posts
Thanks for asking, but ....

You OK today?

You are kind of acting like me... LOL
It's not an act, it's just the way I am. :vs_cool:

Reactions: shoot summ

·
Registered
381 Posts
Craig if a diamond wire cutter would do a better job than a 2-4tpi wide bandsaw blade sawmills would all ready be using them. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: woodnthings
1 - 9 of 9 Posts