Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my DeWalt Tracksaw for a couple of weeks, and I finally think I can comment on it.

Functionality: Awesome, Ive been using my jigs and guides for cutting sheet goods for years, and the tracksaw is definately the next stage in the evolution of those jigs...

Downside: I have to ask a simple question. What on earth were the engineers thinking in making two tracks??? The 8' track is about the most unwieldy thing I have ever had. Its length and light weight flimsy design make it nearly impossible to store... and the 4' track is better, but still lacking.

I had jigs in 2', 4' and 8' lengths, and they were far easier to work with due to thier rigid nature. DeWalt's engineers screwed the pooch on these rails. It would be far more usable if they had made the track in 24" sections and have them link together for longer cuts....

·
Registered
356 Posts
Actually the longer tracks are more accurate. I have a festool track saw with multiple guide rails. When Ive had to join two 55" rails together it doesnt produce a straight enough cut to my liking, even though festool says they should. Thats why I ended up buying a 108" rail for ripping full sheets. Multiple 24" rails would not produce a straight enough cut., IMO

Jason

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Garage only has 8' ceilings, and I don't have a lot of wall area for hanging the long track horizontal either...

I understand the difficulties in keeping the sections straight, but I would think an Engineer would be able to solve that problem pretty easily. My long track is more likely to get bent or twisted out of shape before the next time I get to use it.

It does do an excellent job, just wish I had some way to store it safely.

·
where's my table saw?
28,735 Posts
make a track container

My Garage only has 8' ceilings, and I don't have a lot of wall area for hanging the long track horizontal either...

I understand the difficulties in keeping the sections straight, but I would think an Engineer would be able to solve that problem pretty easily. My long track is more likely to get bent or twisted out of shape before the next time I get to use it.

It does do an excellent job, just wish I had some way to store it safely.
Make a 1/4" hardwood box with 3/4" edges to store the track in ...safely. I did this for all my Festool tracks and they work great especially if you need to transport them without incurring damage. You may have to slant the box a bit to get it under your ceiling,
Or make a rack to hold it on the wall horizontally, Or store it on the floor out of walking patterns.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts