Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ditched my contractors saw for 300 bucks and bought this Dewalt saw. It is not built as tough nor does it have a stand, but I solved the stand by mounting it to my workbench.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have the same one the 744, but not the contractors model. Easy to set sizes on but the blade sometimes doesn't cut as clean, probably due to blade I am using.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the Bosch contractors saw about 7 years ago when I decided to build some structures. I got the Bosch becasue of the awesome stand that collapses and made many trips south to do a beach casa. It got beat up and the fence was not parallel to the blade (off a little....) and I got tired of moving it around in the garage. For the use it was giving, it didn't make sense bumping into it all the time. Now I am doing more finish work, and ripping the small stuff. I built the bench and wanted to utilize the bench for as many things as possible....thus the table saw. The Dewalt has a small footprint and can easily be stored on a shelf with my compound mitre saw. The Bosch did not make sense to take the stand off, as that is one of its best qualities, plus it did not fit shelf easily. The Dewalt can still be used for construction, but it is not as durable. So I will use my festool plunge with guide for that. Everything is a trade-off.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Bosch is a portable jobsite saw also. I was thinking you went from a full size saw to a portable.

I f"ed up buying this saw. I do not have dado capabilties. I've never done a dado cut before, as I always just incremented a single blade......to marginal results. I was looking forward to buying some dado blades and prefecting the joints. I wonder if it is possible to at least run 2 blades. Is the shaft length the main stoppage? I'm thinking that the bearings are better on the motor also. A 13/16 dado cut seems to need a lot of hp and more sturdy motor shaft.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
I use a wobble dado cutter. I know some don't like them but they don't require a long arbor shaft. I have one with a lot of teeth and have been happy with it for over 20 years. Dado on the TS is good for small panels but when doing larger panels I use a router with an exact with fixture. This insures the dado perfectly matches the thickness of the wood it receives. Otherwise your going to be very frustrated.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Al B Thayer said:
I use a wobble dado cutter. I know some don't like them but they don't require a long arbor shaft. I have one with a lot of teeth and have been happy with it for over 20 years. Dado on the TS is good for small panels but when doing larger panels I use a router with an exact with fixture. This insures the dado perfectly matches the thickness of the wood it receives. Otherwise your going to be very frustrated.

Don't buy an insert for the saw. make one. You will like it much better.

Al

·
Registered
3 Posts
Plans !

I ditched my contractors saw for 300 bucks and bought this Dewalt saw. It is not built as tough nor does it have a stand, but I solved the stand by mounting it to my workbench.

Hi, do you have a plan for this table support ? And about fence, works fine, because in this model the fence is attached in both sides, the side with together a table has a space between a table and a saw ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, do you have a plan for this table support ? And about fence, works fine, because in this model the fence is attached in both sides, the side with together a table has a space between a table and a saw ?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's winter .....I'm back.

Sorry for the late response. Yes have plans, and yes there is a gap so the fence works fine. the saw slides on the 2 round steel bars, and can be move away from bench. [email protected]

·
Registered
175 Posts
If that's the 745 that is the saw we use at work. As a jobsite TS I like it a lot. It's pretty darn accurate for a benchtop, granted we aren't really doing "fine woodwork". I was actually thinking about getting one for myself due my space limitations at home. I'm a Bosch guy so naturally I also considered the Bosch. But the DeWalt fence is much better IMO, and easier to adjust, and for me that definitely outweighs the Bosch's dado capability. The DeWalt is a fine little saw. Very durable too.

Nice set up you have there. I believe Rousseau also makes a great stand for the 745 but imagine it costs almost as much as the saw itself.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The above picture is the reason I switched table saws. The table itself sits in the middle of the garage, on its side where there is a car on one side and a boat on the other side of the garage.

·
Registered
209 Posts
That saw gave me a big push into woodworking a few years ago. The arbor length is one of the limitations for dado capabilities, but I'm afraid the lack of power would become a factor too. I LOVED the rack and pinion fence and dust collection on that saw. I sold mine, but if and when I have to install hardwood or laminate flooring again I'll buy it again even if just for that project.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Like this concept, but just wondering if your plan allows for dust collection? I assume you can connect under the table and on the back of the saw? Can you share the plan, just to see?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts