Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While using my Dewalt router the motor when I turned it on became noisier and the router had less power. I also noticed there were an extreme amount of sparks inside.:eek: The motor is clean-there are no chips inside that I can see. I blew it out with my air compressor. I think the brushes are going out. Am I wrong? The router is seven mouths old but I used the crap out of it. I wouldn't be surprised if I have about 20 to 25 hours of use on it.:yes: The local place were I got my brushes fixed for my cordless drill charge $30 to look at it. The drills brushes cost $10 with $15 labor. Is the router worth it to have it checked over? Or should I sell it on Craigslist while it still works?:devil:

·
Hickabilly
536 Posts
Brushes are an easy fix if you are moderately handy. While your'e in there have a look at the commutator(the copper thing the brushes rub against) if it's black, try cleaning it up with a pencil eraser. If it's missing a bar or two, your'e screwed. The armature will cost you a chunk. One common problem with tools like routers and sanders is the brush guide getting a build up of dust/pitch. This will keep the brushes from sliding in as they wear, causing the arcing you've described. Compressed air will probably not loosen it. A broken or dislocated spring will cause similar problems. First thing I'd do is pull the brushes, and run a toothpick down through the guide to break loose any deposits.
Best of luck...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts