Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Not in my opinion. I wouldn't pay but maybe $125 in good shape with good blades. And I'd take a piece of scrap hardwood to check the cut.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Not even close to a 735....I think it's a 733, which is a precursor to the 734. Not worth 250....I'd be closer to 150 if in good shape.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
ryan50hrl said:
Not even close to a 735....I think it's a 733, which is a precursor to the 734
I think that's correct (not that I know any better). I have heard good things about the 734, but not so for the 733. I have the 735 which I love but it hindsight I feel overpriced. I'd also suggest watching for the Rigid 13" model as it was rated #2 behind the DeWalt 735 in the last comparisons article I read from about 18-24 months ago.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
That is indeed a 733, an earlier two-blade version of a 734 (734's have a silver base and top instead of black). An advantage is that it's blades can be resharpened. The 734's three blades cannot be resharpened, though they are reversible. At any rate, I wasn't aware that the 733 had any problems and mine has been trouble-free and cuts nicely. Maybe Burb can tell us what he's heard.

I don't know what DeWalt planer prices are around where you guys live, but in my neck of the woods it's unusual to see a 733 or 734 for under $200 and they are usually $250 or more. The 735's are much more than that, going for premium prices. I picked up my 733 for $200 a couple years ago and that would still be a good deal from what I've seen while watching the local CL's. I've been watching for a bargain for a buddy and have come up with very little, and when I do spot a DeWalt for a good price it's usually snapped up quickly.

The Ridgids seem to have a good reputation but I haven't seen any of those for low dollars either. It seems that generally, the lunchbox planers with good reputations are premium items on the used market.

Bill

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
dodgeboy77 said:
That is indeed a 733, an earlier two-blade version of a 734 (734's have a silver base and top instead of black).

Bill
Laughing! All this time I thought I had a 734!

I had to get out of bed to take a look but it is a 733, black top and base.

Heck, it looked like a 734 when I bought it off Craigslist (listed as a 734) and I never checked the plate.

Bought it for $215 and I really like it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts