Woodworking Talk banner

Dewalt or Rigid orbital sander

5K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  Marine04 
#1 ·
I'm looking at getting a new sander. I have a ryobi corner cat which worked well for a couple years but want to get a orbital. I've narrowed it down to the rigid or dewalt. The 59.99 dewalt and 69.99 rigid. Not the more expensive models. Actually on the HD website the smaller rigid sander got better reviews than the one that cost over 100. Anyone own either of these or one like it in the same price range? I'm looking for one that will perform well and last a while with lots of use.

#2 ·
Man I don't know. Your really going to get what you pay for in a sander. More money =better sander. Time is very important when sanding. Lesser costing sanders have less power, less stroke, less rpm, more noise and they vibrate the blood right out of your hand. Their pads are too soft and your wood comes out something less than flat. They wear out quickly.

When it comes to something used for long periods of time. I want a good one. I had one cheap sander and that was such a waste of time. I have two Porter Cables 1/2 and 1/4 sheet. One DeWalt low profile ROS 5". All of them are a joy to use.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

#3 ·
Al B Thayer said:
Man I don't know. Your really going to get what you pay for in a sander. More money =better sander. Time is very important when sanding. Lesser costing sanders have less power, less stroke, less rpm, more noise and they vibrate the blood right out of your hand. Their pads are too soft and your wood comes out something less than flat. They wear out quickly. When it comes to something used for long periods of time. I want a good one. I had one cheap sander and that was such a waste of time. I have two Porter Cables 1/2 and 1/4 sheet. One DeWalt low profile ROS 5". All of them are a joy to use. Al Nails only hold themselves.
I did look at the porter cable orbital sander on my lowes app. It costs less than dewalt and rigid, but I own a porter cable jobsite table saw and jig saw and have been really happy with porter cable as of recent. It did say the porter cable is lower amp than the other two but on the specs it showed it runs at 12,000 rpm like the dewalt. Think it would be a good buy? Also I've been using that ryobi corner cat for all of my sanding. I don't know if that's right or wrong but would I be able to use the orbital sander the same way?

#6 ·
Based in the reviews and specs, I didn't perceive much difference between the Ridgid and the Dewalt which were my finalists. The Ridgid just felt best in my hand.

I don't think any of the tools discussed are bad or ineffective, so you're probably going to be satisfied with whatever you choose.

#8 ·
Marine04 said:
I did look at the porter cable orbital sander on my lowes app. It costs less than dewalt and rigid, but I own a porter cable jobsite table saw and jig saw and have been really happy with porter cable as of recent. It did say the porter cable is lower amp than the other two but on the specs it showed it runs at 12,000 rpm like the dewalt. Think it would be a good buy? Also I've been using that ryobi corner cat for all of my sanding. I don't know if that's right or wrong but would I be able to use the orbital sander the same way?
I haven't seen any sanders lately at either box stores of any lasting value. It PC I'm referring to are not found there.

A good ROS has a larger bearing and has some heft to it. Which translates the sanding motion to the pad not the hands. Amps are a good method for determining power and more is better. Cheaper sanders have a smaller stroke rotation resulting in longer sanding time. Sure they work but I've never heard someone say they wish they could spend more time sanding. I've had both PCs for over 25 years. The 1/4 sheet speed block had to have the springs replaced when they finely wore out 2 years ago. I don't use them as much now because the ROS will do a satisfactory job for most pieces I've built lately but the 1/2 sheet gives me a much finer finish and I use that on table tops. Flat is where it's at.

Al

#12 ·
dodgeboy77 said:
Just to mess you up a bit, have you considered the Bosch ROS20VSC? I have one and liked it enough to buy another. They function well, have good dust collection and are the same price as the Ridgid. I got mine at the big box store that starts with an 'L'. Bill
Now why would you complicate things by throwing in another option lol just messing with you. I've never actually owned any Bosch tools besides some masonry bits back when I did electrical work. I have heard good things about the brand and never anything bad

#13 ·
I have always been a dewalt guy but lately I'm not so sure. As long as it does the jobs a works for a while I'll be happy. I do like the PC price tag and like I said I've bought a couple of their tools recently and been very happy especially with my PC table saw. I do like the variable speed on the more expensive dewalt model though. Do you guys think the variable speed is that much of a need? My ryobi is only one speed and never really had a problem until recently because it's been acting a little under powered .

#14 ·
Op I haven't used either of your two pics but i recently got the PC 390K and I am very impressed with it. It is very easy on your hand with not much vibration and does great swirl free sanding. I had a Mikita ROS failed and I wanted something that was easier on my hand, that Mikita would just about vibrate my hand off. I almost got the Bosch ROS65VC-5 but just couldn't justify the extra cost and after using the 390 I'm glad I didn't spend the extra for the Bosch.

Earl

#16 ·
I own a dewalt orbital... Just purchased it on sale for $39! Was more than half off. I got it at my local hardware store, floor model. I haven't even used it so I can't give a review. But I really haven't had a problem with dewalt ever for drills, sawzalls etc. I used to be an electrician and used nothing but dewalt.

#17 ·
Marine04 said:
I have always been a dewalt guy but lately I'm not so sure. As long as it does the jobs a works for a while I'll be happy. I do like the PC price tag and like I said I've bought a couple of their tools recently and been very happy especially with my PC table saw. I do like the variable speed on the more expensive dewalt model though. Do you guys think the variable speed is that much of a need? My ryobi is only one speed and never really had a problem until recently because it's been acting a little under powered .
Variable speed is a big help when sanding a break on a corner. also nice if you want to sand a lot of thin edges where full speed is not needed. Two places the ROS can't suck enough.

Al

#19 · (Edited)
JMartel said:
Like Al, I have the dewalt low profile. Only $15 more than the more expensive one you listed:

Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D26456-5-Inch-Profile-Random/dp/B004CRSNCY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387676606&sr=8-1&keywords=dewalt+low+profile+sander

So far, I'm very happy with it.
Shoot dad. This was the first ROS I've owned. I never thought I'd like them but they cut fast and because they spin, no mater what your sanding you use the whole disk.

Al

#20 ·
Yeah I've had good experience with dewalt drills and saw zaws.

I just bought a ryobi belt sander. I needed something that will plane a cutting board I'm making for my wife and couldn't afford a more expensive belt sander. Should work though. Guess my orbital sander will have to wait for a week or two.

Alaska guy what part of Alaska are you from? I'm hoping to move the fam up there in the next couple years. I want to be near Denali enough to see the northern lights from my house lol. I went to anchorage for a couple weeks before I got married and have wanted to move there since

#21 ·
I live in Anchorage, but have been all around the state. My old man has land up in Denali right by the state park and has decent Mckinley views. I need to get on the band wagon and buy some land next to his so I can build a summer cabin there and snow bird it somewhere else when the time comes. :)

I have traveled to almost every state in the US and I keep coming back here. I love the amount of green, wildlife, hunting etc you can do here within a few hours drive away.

#23 ·
Alaska_Guy said:
I live in Anchorage, but have been all around the state. My old man has land up in Denali right by the state park and has decent Mckinley views. I need to get on the band wagon and buy some land next to his so I can build a summer cabin there and snow bird it somewhere else when the time comes. :) I have traveled to almost every state in the US and I keep coming back here. I love the amount of green, wildlife, hunting etc you can do here within a few hours drive away.
Yeah that's a good plan. I really want to buy some land up there and build a cabin to live in. It's an awesome place to be. Everyone I talked to on the plane ride up there all said they've left but always end up going back to Alaska.

#25 ·
Well my wife and I went to sears, lowes and HD to check out sanders for my Christmas present. When we got to sears they had their craftsman 5 speed on sale for 37.49 regularly 59.99. All they had left was the display though so I asked if we could buy it and asked if I could plug it in and run it and all 5 speeds ran smooth and quiet. Seems like it will be a good one. Well after 15 minutes with the sales associate they informed me I couldn't buy the floor model because they can order more. I have been offered plenty of floor models by the guy that usually works night so that made me kinda mad. They informed me there was one left at the mall in the next town over which is a much busier mall. We went over there and luckily it was still sitting there so we bought it. I'm looking forward to Christmas morning so I can run it for a little bit. It is a 2.8 amp which is more than the PC and only .2 amps less than dewalt and ryobi plus it has the 5 speed variable speed option that the other 3 I was looking at in my price range didn't have. I think I'll be happy with it. It got great reviews 4 out of 5 stars on the sears site and everyone said the noise and vibration are very light.

#27 ·
#26 ·
Marine04 said:
Well my wife and I went to sears, lowes and HD to check out sanders for my Christmas present. When we got to sears they had their craftsman 5 speed on sale for 37.49 regularly 59.99. All they had left was the display though so I asked if we could buy it and asked if I could plug it in and run it and all 5 speeds ran smooth and quiet. Seems like it will be a good one. Well after 15 minutes with the sales associate they informed me I couldn't buy the floor model because they can order more. I have been offered plenty of floor models by the guy that usually works night so that made me kinda mad. They informed me there was one left at the mall in the next town over which is a much busier mall. We went over there and luckily it was still sitting there so we bought it. I'm looking forward to Christmas morning so I can run it for a little bit. It is a 2.8 amp which is more than the PC and only .2 amps less than dewalt and ryobi plus it has the 5 speed variable speed option that the other 3 I was looking at in my price range didn't have. I think I'll be happy with it. It got great reviews 4 out of 5 stars on the sears site and everyone said the noise and vibration are very light.
Make sure your comparing apples to apple. Enjoy.

Al

#28 ·
rbk123 said:
If it's this one I have it: http://www.sears.com/27675-3-0-amp-corded-5-random-orbit-sander/p-00927675000P It's excellent. It's heavy and very smooth. I've used it on my wood stairs and other flooring projects and am quite fond of it. As Al said - variable speed is a must.
This is the one I got.
It ran pretty nicely at the store and has good weight and the variable speed which I really wanted but couldn't afford at the moment in the other name brands
http://m.sears.com/index-g.html#/productdetails/00911218000P?partnumber=00911218000P

I checked the online reviews while I was in the store and like I said it got great reviews. The only negative I saw was a guy said after an hour he had a bearing go out, but sears replaced the sander. I figure if that was the only negative out of 30-40 reviews maybe that guy is green to sanding and was pressing it into the wood way too hard or like with any name brand tool sometimes you get one that wasn't up yo par leaving the factory. As long as it didn't have a ton of negative reviews it seemed like a good choice to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.