Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am looking at buying a new saw.
I have a Mastercraft saw. I wanted to upgrade.
I was in H.D. (in Canada) today and they are selling a Dewalt Jobsite saw for about $850.00
This is the DWE7491RS model. The fence on this feels really nice.
At the same time I looked at the Ridgid saw.
The R4514 is about half the price of the Dewalt.
I could in effect buy the R4514 saw and a Ridgid thickness planer for the same price as the Dewalt saw.

On the other hand will the Ridgid saw give me buyers remorse after a few weeks?

There is also the Ridgid R4520 which is more of a stationary saw for about $750.00.

So many choices....
Any recommendations from anyone?
I am just starting into the woodworking hobby. I make a few little things on weekends.
I am sure the saw would see some use, but not a whole lot. I have been using the Mastercraft saw, and I want to upgrade.

Thanks,

.......Cameron

·
Registered
Termite
4,515 Posts
Have you looked for a used one? Sometimes there are some like new tools out there for a nice discount...

·
Registered
54 Posts
My brother got a dewalt job site saw for Christmas and has been pretty pleased with it.

My old TS failed on me last year and I ended up with the Delta 725T2 and am very happy with it. Only available from Lowe’s but provides a great unit with a nice stock fence and good dust collection. Price was also very reasonable.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I also picked up the Delta 725T2 from Lowes. I’ve had it less then a year, we are still in the honeymoon phase where we haven’t really experienced our first big fight. Overall, I’m pretty pleased. I struggle with the fence sometimes where it doesn’t always lock in parallel with the blade and I’m just now getting used to the blade guard. I didn’t need anything that would actually go to a job site even though this has wheels, I consider it more of a shop saw then job site.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I liked my dewalt while I had it. Mop complaints.

My neighbor likes his ridgid contractor saw too, and it looks pretty nice.

Decide if you need to move it

·
Super Moderator
5,220 Posts
I downsized from a 3hp Unisaw to the Dewalt you are looking at. I like the saw but if you plan to buy one of the jobsite saws, I suggest you take a small square with you. My Dewalt Jobsite saw has a fence that is slightly out of square. I mean the fence is not exactly 90 degrees of the table upward. So far I haven't found a way to correct this, but in time I am sure I will. Other than that, I really do like the saw, it is all I need now that I don't do woodworking for a living.

By the way, that saw is not light. lol

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hello,
I am looking at buying a new saw.
I have a Mastercraft saw. I wanted to upgrade.
I was in H.D. (in Canada) today and they are selling a Dewalt Jobsite saw for about $850.00
This is the DWE7491RS model. The fence on this feels really nice.
At the same time I looked at the Ridgid saw.
The R4514 is about half the price of the Dewalt.
I could in effect buy the R4514 saw and a Ridgid thickness planer for the same price as the Dewalt saw.

On the other hand will the Ridgid saw give me buyers remorse after a few weeks?

There is also the Ridgid R4520 which is more of a stationary saw for about $750.00.

So many choices....
Any recommendations from anyone?
I am just starting into the woodworking hobby. I make a few little things on weekends.
I am sure the saw would see some use, but not a whole lot. I have been using the Mastercraft saw, and I want to upgrade.

Thanks,

.......Cameron
I would look around for a used cabinet saw. I see Unisaws pretty regularly for around he same price as the DeWalt. Powermatic, even Jet and Grizzly make good cabinet saws.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Can you help us understand your issues with the Mastercraft saw? Which model do you have? What is wrong with it? Why do you want to replace it?

The DWE7491RS and R4514 saws you mentioned are both jobsite table saws. They are designed to be small, so they can be folded up and transported to construction sites, etc. To be small and portable, the designers must make compromises, such as a short lead-in between the front and the blade, aluminum tops, lesser fences, etc. The R4520 is better, with a cast iron top, better fence, etc.

What are you looking for in a replacement saw? What features do you need or want?

I agree with the others - a used contractor or cabinet saw will get you the most value for your money, but we don't know about your other requirements - space, moveability, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you help us understand your issues with the Mastercraft saw? Which model do you have? What is wrong with it? Why do you want to replace it?

The DWE7491RS and R4514 saws you mentioned are both jobsite table saws. They are designed to be small, so they can be folded up and transported to construction sites, etc. To be small and portable, the designers must make compromises, such as a short lead-in between the front and the blade, aluminum tops, lesser fences, etc. The R4520 is better, with a cast iron top, better fence, etc.

What are you looking for in a replacement saw? What features do you need or want?

I agree with the others - a used contractor or cabinet saw will get you the most value for your money, but we don't know about your other requirements - space, moveability, etc.
Hello
The Mastercraft saw I have has a sliding table on the left side of the blade, so I cannot make a sled.
The second item is that the throat plate is thin plastic and deforms slightly as material passes through the saw. Then on the outfeed side of the blade, material jams before it is able to clear the outside edge of the table.
I want a portable saw so I can roll it around my garage (workshop area). I do not have dedicated shop space.
Thamks.
.......Cameron

·
Registered
486 Posts
I put my Bosch jobsite saw on a custom wood rollling base - when not in use it tucks away under a 3/4" plywood benchtop (no other framing) and up against a garage wall - so I don't have to move anything off the bench.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Hello - The Mastercraft saw I have has a sliding table on the left side of the blade, so I cannot make a sled.
The second item is that the throat plate is thin plastic and deforms slightly as material passes through the saw. Then on the outfeed side of the blade, material jams before it is able to clear the outside edge of the table.
I want a portable saw so I can roll it around my garage (workshop area). I do not have dedicated shop space. - Thamks. - .......Cameron
Good reasons. If I had it, I would want to replace it too.

You said, "I want a portable saw so I can roll it around my garage (workshop area). I do not have dedicated shop space."
Here is my next Question:
-> Is the issue about storage footprint or is it only about table saw mobility in the shop?

In other words, do you have room to store a full-size contractor or cabinet table saw if you could store it against the wall and then wheel it to the middle of your garage when you want to use it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is a good question.
I had not thought much about it.
At the moment I am thinking I want to have something collapsible that I can roll into a corner when it is not in use.

·
Registered
486 Posts
That is a good question.
I had not thought much about it.
At the moment I am thinking I want to have something collapsible that I can roll into a corner when it is not in use.
Like I said in a roundabout way, my rolling cabinet solution wasted no space. Their dolly solution does waste some space.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ve had a DeWalt 745 job site saw for about 10 years. I like it a lot. I built a rolling cabinet for it, which has storage underneath.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hello
The Mastercraft saw I have has a sliding table on the left side of the blade, so I cannot make a sled.
I want a portable saw so I can roll it around my garage (workshop area). I do not have dedicated shop space.
Thamks.
.......Cameron
Make a new throat plate?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts