Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Dewalt DW745 has recently gone on sale at Home Depot to a price of 269.00 and I was looking to buy my first table saw. I say my first because I am currently borrowing a Ryobi table saw from my step father. After using that saw, I will never buy a Ryobi; the fence was terrible and the motor too weak to rip through the material I needed it to. Any thoughts if this table saw will suffice? I am new to woodworking and have just begun to do minor furniture projects, plus the hubby do list for the new house. Please help!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not set on anything. I grew up on dewalt and noticed this was on sale; I do not have my heart set on anything in particular. It is mostly a price issue, I kicked my wife's car out of the garage so I have full reign of the garage haha. I am only 24 and do not have a a lot of disposable income.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Here's the thing. Small portable table saws fit best into the need for portability. Everything else (accuracy, power, ease of use, safety) are all compromised by the portability.

Are you open to the idea of an older used saw?

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Another vote for used.

I have zero experience with the saw you mentioned but Id take a used stationary saw over a new portable saw any day. You can pick up used contractor saws on CL for cheap. The old Emerson made Craftsman saws can usually be found for $150 or less. Most of them will need some cleaning up and a fence upgrade to make a really good saw out of them but you still wind up in the same price range as the new portable and end up with a much better and safer saw.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not that I am not open to a used saw, it is that I have gift cards and a credit card to Home Depot; this went on sale, have always had a great experience with Dewalt and gave it a thought. I am very new to the craft of woodworking, experience being from the odd jobs around my new home and what I Learned from my grandfather, a master carpenter; so I thought I would ask.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Fair enough. The ridgid 4512 is a top notch saw if you really want to buy from Home Depot. The thing is that a good table saw makes or breaks the hobby in my opinion. Some Home Depots will take harbor freight coupons....getting you down to around 400 for the 4512.

Where abouts do you live? Someone may be able to point out a good used saw.

·
2,442 Posts
If you have to have a saw from HD, look at the R4512. Take a HF 25% off coupon with you and you can get it for right around $400.

Edit, guess we were typing at the same time. lol

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
If you were using that saw only for cutting down trim boards or something like that I'd say go for it....but if you want to do true woodworking I'd hold out for a good deal on a contractor saw

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
RedSoxFan2833 said:
I live in ocala fl. I am going to try the harbor freight coupon today.
Make sure you talk to a manager if they initially say no. If the first Home Depot won't take it...try another

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
If you can find 500 bucks ( or talk the guy down). There's a craftsman 22124 on your local Craigslist for 500. It has a bisermeyer fence which alone is worth 400 bucks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have the dewalt tabletop from HD. It's great for some things mostly smaller stuff it cannot handle 3/4 stacked dado sets you will need a contractor or cabinetsaw. I have all three and by far I use the stationary cabinet saw the most second would be the contractors steel city saw it's my dado saw right now. The tabletop dewalt is mainly for my small woodworking projects and I have it recessed down into my large assembly table. Just mke sure whichever you buy it can handle ny future woodworking aspirations you may have or you will end up with three saws you love and your wife hates

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was reading some of the reviews of the rigid and a lot of the lower reviews were about the same issue; rigid's poor customer service and poor design. Does anyone have this saw or can attest to rigid's customer service? I don't want to spend the money on a saw that will work for only a year.

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
It's not that I am not open to a used saw, it is that I have gift cards and a credit card to Home Depot; this went on sale, have always had a great experience with Dewalt and gave it a thought. I am very new to the craft of woodworking, experience being from the odd jobs around my new home and what I Learned from my grandfather, a master carpenter; so I thought I would ask.
Use the cards for something else that you need. The advise to find a full scale used saw is good advise. An experienced woodworker can take a small saw and do good things with it. A novice is going to have problems.

George

·
2,442 Posts
I was reading some of the reviews of the rigid and a lot of the lower reviews were about the same issue; rigid's poor customer service and poor design. Does anyone have this saw or can attest to rigid's customer service? I don't want to spend the money on a saw that will work for only a year.
Are you speaking of the R4512? Thats a well regarded saw around here. Id guess that theres a hundred or more owners of that saw right here at WWT and they are all happy with thier purchase. There were some complaints early on with some alignment issues but I havnt heard any recently. Go to the power tool section and type R4512 in the search box. Im sure youll find hundreds of threads.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
If your talking about the 4512...it's a darn good saw for the money. It's not a high end cabinet saw, but I'd have no issues buying one if I needed a saw in that budget area.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Are you speaking of the R4512? Thats a well regarded saw around here. Id guess that theres a hundred or more owners of that saw right here at WWT and they are all happy with thier purchase. There were some complaints early on with some alignment issues but I havnt heard any recently. Go to the power tool section and type R4512 in the search box. Im sure youll find hundreds of threads.
+1. I have R4512 for about year. Besides of the fence I believe this is a good saw for the money. Also there are is an issue with blade alligement. Apparently it's common issue of hybrid saws (not only this saw) Once you become aware about it it stops being the issue. See other threads where the issue was discussed.

Also I'm gonna replace the fence by Vega one and I believe R4512 will serve my needs perfectly.

Answering on initial question. I had dw745 prior R4512. This is a decent saw but it is benchtop saw. And I found that it is not safe and good for working with heavy or long stock or ply.This is why I sold dw745 and bought R4512.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Perfect, thank you everyone. HD did accept the coupon and military discount and ended up only paying 375 for the rigid hybrid. I plan on assembling it tonight.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts