Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My uncle picked up this saw from an old High School that closed down years ago. The front says Dewalt but the side tag says The Blacker & Deck MFG Co.
Model T144 does not come up in any Google searching. Nice cast iron frame and table top. It is all there, just needs some TLC.
He said it has a 3/4" arbor and has 3 phase motor. Does anyone have information on this saw? It may be worth the effort due to its mass and power.

Please see attached pics, thanks for your input!!

Attachments

·
Generic Weeb
1,039 Posts
Is the DeWalt label a sticker? I have a feeling DeWalt wouldn't partner with black and decker on anything. Might just be a random sticker someone thought would look cool

-T

·
Registered
23 Posts
B&D actually bought DeWalt back in the late 60’s I believe but didn’t change the labeling until the 90’s. The sticker actually didn’t look period correct to me but That’s just my 02

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
other than the table saw is being abused by it's current owner, (table saw shouldn't be used for storing junk. the motor sitting on the wing could warp the wing and the fence rails) the saw looks like a decent cast iron saw, probably hard to replace it for under a grand today. however a 3hp 1750 rpm single phase motor will set you back roughly $300-$500+. then you need to rework the controls. hopefully all the parts are there.
if your looking for a cheap saw, that may not be it.

Is the DeWalt label a sticker? I have a feeling DeWalt wouldn't partner with black and decker on anything. Might just be a random sticker someone thought would look cool -T
funny thing, i was thinking the opposite. black and decker was a decent quality back in the 60s and 70s, dewalt has always been lower end imo. they've upped their game with cordless tools in the past 10 years.

wingedwheel is correct b&d bought dewalt in 1960 DeWalt - Wikipedia

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just a random thought but as the OP stated there appears to be nothing online referring to that saw or any reference to Black and Decker manufacturing a cabinet saw like that. As Ogre stated though, there will be some expense and elbow grease involved but I actually think it’s pretty cool. Could B&D maybe have made that saw and donated it to the vocational program at that school? Perhaps An email to the manufacturer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
other than the table saw is being abused by it's current owner, (table saw shouldn't be used for storing junk. the motor sitting on the wing could warp the wing and the fence rails) the saw looks like a decent cast iron saw, probably hard to replace it for under a grand today. however a 3hp 1750 rpm single phase motor will set you back roughly $300-$500+. then you need to rework the controls. hopefully all the parts are there.
if your looking for a cheap saw, that may not be it.

funny thing, i was thinking the opposite. black and decker was a decent quality back in the 60s and 70s, dewalt has always been lower end imo. they've upped their game with cordless tools in the past 10 years.

wingedwheel is correct b&d bought dewalt in 1960 DeWalt - Wikipedia
Thanks for your input! It is the right price so I think I am going to give it a go!
I design and work on industrial woodworking equipment for a living so I have some good resources that way.
Hopefully the arbor is in good shape and the fence is all there. I will be dragging it home shortly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a random thought but as the OP stated there appears to be nothing online referring to that saw or any reference to Black and Decker manufacturing a cabinet saw like that. As Ogre stated though, there will be some expense and elbow grease involved but I actually think it’s pretty cool. Could B&D maybe have made that saw and donated it to the vocational program at that school? Perhaps An email to the manufacturer?
Ya, I will send an email to those guys. It would be interesting if I get a response on the old relic. Thanks!

·
where's my table saw?
28,992 Posts
Hello,
My uncle picked up this saw from an old High School that closed down years ago. The front says Dewalt but the side tag says The Blacker & Deck MFG Co.
Model T144 does not come up in any Google searching. Nice cast iron frame and table top. It is all there, just needs some TLC.
He said it has a 3/4" arbor and has 3 phase motor. Does anyone have information on this saw? It may be worth the effort due to its mass and power.

Please see attached pics, thanks for your input!!
Hey pete are you still with us? In all my years of using and looking at table saws I can't recall one with a 3/4" arbor. They are either 5/8" for home shops, or 1" for commercial applications. It just seems like a strange variation of brands and sizes. The 3 phase motor says industrial/commercial so it may have been a special model for school use. But even so, try to find a saw blade with a 3/4" arbor.... I would want to verify that in person to make sure if you are going to purchase new blades.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey pete are you still with us? In all my years of using and looking at table saws I can't recall one with a 3/4" arbor. They are either 5/8" for home shops, or 1" for commercial applications. It just seems like a strange variation of brands and sizes. The 3 phase motor says industrial/commercial so it may have been a special model for school use. But even so, try to find a saw blade with a 3/4" arbor.... I would want to verify that in person to make sure if you are going to purchase new blades.
woodnthings - Good to know about the arbor size. I know 3/4" blades would be a headache to find, but a local machinist friend could help me out with that. I hope it ends up being 5/8" or 1" for the sake of not having to modify blades or the arbor. I did contact Stanley Black & Decker with no response yet. I am going to check out the saw in person this weekend. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Thanks for your input! It is the right price so I think I am going to give it a go!
I design and work on industrial woodworking equipment for a living so I have some good resources that way.
Hopefully the arbor is in good shape and the fence is all there. I will be dragging it home shortly.
i did say "if your looking for a cheap saw, that may not be it."
you could buy an old craftsman saw for $200 and still come out $300 better
no one here is suggesting you get, even for free

1 - 10 of 10 Posts