Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Box Maker
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some months back a fella wrote in about having inadvertently switching the speed control of his DeWalt 735 planer WITHOUT the motor running. He wondered if he'd ruined his planer. Well...It seems it happened to me as well - never mind how since I'm embarrassed. Regardless, I don't know how the previous poster's deal worked out and I too wonder if I've ruined my brand new, never used 735 planer? I turned it on last night and while the motor was running, switched from speed 2 to 1 but there was no discernible difference in motor speed. No I didn't run any lumber thought it. Called DeWalt tech center and was told to bring it in. They wouldn't tell me if it could be fixed or not but I'm obviously not the only dumb-butt to have done this or who's kids turned the selector while messing around in the shop. Any help or encouragement here?
Thanks

·
where's my table saw?
28,738 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
The motor speed does not adjust with the speed switch, it's just the feed roller gearing. Don't worry about it, your fine. Mines been switched numerous times accidentally with the motor off. It's always worked fine anyway.

·
Box Maker
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll turn it on again tonight and move the selector toggle again. What irritated me (aside for allowing such a thing to happen in the first place) as the tech I talked to. All he had to say was, "You're not the first to have done this, we've seen it before and can repair it". Or even, "Sorry dude, your planer is toast". All he said was I'd have to bring it in so they could look at it. So I have two thoughts...1. For as much as you spend for their planer, you'd think their authorized service techs could be a bit more accommodating. 2. I'm not sure but the speed selector issue of having to have the motor running before changing speeds is a design/engineering flaw. But I could be wrong on that. Not wrong on the indifference of the "authorized service tech" though. Might be a while before I buy another DeWalt tool just on that account alone.

·
where's my table saw?
28,738 Posts
Just tape a warning on the lever

"Do not move unless motor is running...." :no:

·
7,222 Posts
I'm not sure but the speed selector issue of having to have the motor running before changing speeds is a design/engineering flaw. But I could be wrong on that.
As other said, the motor sound is the same, only the roller speed changes. If you did not run any wood through the machine, you will not easily tell the speed difference by just the planer noise.

This is not a design flaw, it is just the design.

Many wood turning lathes have a mechanical speed change called a Reeves drive. This is also designed for the speed to be changed only while operating the lathe.

The change only when running may allow the gearing to be simplified.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I went to turn mine on the other day and grabbed the speed control lever. Not a problem, just turned it on and changed speeds. I hate to admit it but this is not the first time and I know it will not be the last. Like I told the poster before just start it and reengage the speed selector. I don't believe there is a significant noise difference between the speeds. The cutter head runs at a constant speed and the feed rollers change speed.
Tom

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
One more thing. You can take the black plastic cover off the drive rollers. It is located on the lower left side of the planer as you stand at the infeed side of the planer. I believe it only has two screws and the Allen wrench that came with the planer will fit them. After the cover is off turn the planer on and see if the chain is driving the rollers. Change speed and you should be able to see a change in the drive rollers. I would do this before I took it back to DeWalt.
Tom

·
Box Maker
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I've just been sick about this. I bought the planer new in March but haven't been able to use it until now since I'm still getting my shop set up from moving locations.

You've all been a lot of help. I owe ya! :thumbsup:
Kirby

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Kirby Hidy said:
Guys THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I've just been sick about this. I bought the planer new in March but haven't been able to use it until now since I'm still getting my shop set up from moving locations.

You've all been a lot of help. I owe ya! :thumbsup:
Kirby
What was the final out come? Is it working? Did you take it to DeWalt?
Tom

·
Box Maker
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I have not taken it to the service center. It's the weekend and I thought I'd try to run some boards through it. Hoping it's going to be all right. Will report back. Thanks again!
KH

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Kirby Hidy said:
No, I have not taken it to the service center. It's the weekend and I thought I'd try to run some boards through it. Hoping it's going to be all right. Will report back. Thanks again!
KH
I think that's the right decision. I don't believe you will have any problems.
Tom

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Being this question has come up a couple of times and I have never seen how it was fixed by the poster I thought I would do a little experiment. With my DeWalt 735 off I switched speed. It went in the other speed. I guess everything was aligned. I started it and stopped it and tried again. This time it ended up in the middle. I cranked up the planer head up high enough to be able to reach the infeed roller. I unplugged the machine and reached in and turned the infeed roller with one hand and the other hand on the speed lever. I only had to move the infeed roller less than a 1/4 turn and speed level reengaged. I wasn't really worried if it didn't because I have made the mistake a few times and only had to start to reengage. I can't believe DeWalt can't give this simple directions to someone who has done this.
Tom

·
7,222 Posts
Being this question has come up a couple of times and I have never seen how it was fixed by the poster I thought I would do a little experiment. With my DeWalt 735 off I switched speed. It went in the other speed. I guess everything was aligned. I started it and stopped it and tried again. This time it ended up in the middle. I cranked up the planer head up high enough to be able to reach the infeed roller. I unplugged the machine and reached in and turned the infeed roller with one hand and the other hand on the speed lever. I only had to move the infeed roller less than a 1/4 turn and speed level reengaged. I wasn't really worried if it didn't because I have made the mistake a few times and only had to start to reengage. I can't believe DeWalt can't give this simple directions to someone who has done this.
Tom
Thanks for the post. I appreciate knowing how easy this is to fix if I ever change my plane when it is off. :thumbsup:

So far I have left this on the higher CPI setting.

I agree DeWalt ought to be able to provide such a simple instruction.

·
Box Maker
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry for the delay in responding but I've been on the road for work. As it turns out the solution was, in my case anyway, just that simple. Turned it back on and the selector wound up in the middle. As you turn the roller, you can feel everything fall back into place. No issues.

I agree. It's just not that hard to offer the simple solution to the buyer who spends that kind of money on a piece of your equipment. So a frown and long look to DeWalt on this one.

·
The New Guy
1,199 Posts
It may be simple for you, but there are people who call and complain because nothing happens when they turn the machine on and have not plugged it in yet. There are some idiots out there and just because you tell them to move the infeed rollers doesn't mean they won't slice up their hand on the blade in the process.

Plaintiff - "The guy on the phone told me to reach under it and turn the roller. I wouldn't have done it he told me the blade was right next to the roller. That's a job for a professional."

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Itchytoe said:
It may be simple for you, but there are people who call and complain because nothing happens when they turn the machine on and have not plugged it in yet. There are some idiots out there and just because you tell them to move the infeed rollers doesn't mean they won't slice up their hand on the blade in the process.

Plaintiff - "The guy on the phone told me to reach under it and turn the roller. I wouldn't have done it he told me the blade was right next to the roller. That's a job for a professional."
You don't even have to turn the rollers. All you have to do it turn it on and reengage the speed selector. I did the little experiment just for those folks who are afraid to do it and want to take it to a service center.
Tom

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Kirby Hidy said:
Sorry for the delay in responding but I've been on the road for work. As it turns out the solution was, in my case anyway, just that simple. Turned it back on and the selector wound up in the middle. As you turn the roller, you can feel everything fall back into place. No issues.

I agree. It's just not that hard to offer the simple solution to the buyer who spends that kind of money on a piece of your equipment. So a frown and long look to DeWalt on this one.
I hope you didn't do what it sounds like you wrote. Turned it back on and turned the rollers? Also, I thought you had already had turned it back on and reengaged but not sure if you had damaged something.
Tom

·
Box Maker
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When this mess began I DID turn the planer on and moved the selector switch. Hearing no difference in motor speed, I assumed I'd messed up. Advice on this forum tells me the motor does not change speed, the in-feed rollers do. My clumsy wording probably did sound like I did something stupid.

Thanks again for all the help and advice guys. I'll return the favor one day.
Kirby

1 - 20 of 22 Posts