Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, seeking feedback again. I passed on the Wood Planer I was previously looking at. I now have a line on a 2016 DeWalt 735 13" thickness planer. Single owner, Byrd Sheilx cutter head (2019/20), replaced the infeed and outfeed rollers and the main drive belt. It’s still on the original motor brushes but he will include a brand new set of brushes. He's also providing a new power switch, micro switch and thermal switch.

Basically a rebuild, saw it's use. He's asking $800. Reasonable?

· Registered
1,118 Posts
I have run hundreds of feet of lumber through my model 733 which is a single speed two blade "lunchbox" style. The surface results hardly need sanding. Personally I don't place a lot of value on two speeds and Sheilx cutter heads, but I guess others do. Maybe they have some value if you are running a commercial shop, but if I was doing that, I would likely have a bigger machine anyway.
You can get a 735 without the Shelix from Amazon for about $625 new. How much is the Shelx worth?

· Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
6,450 Posts
Also, if you aren't doing exotic figured woods, curly, quilted, etc. then you probably don't need the Shelix although it is a great addition to the 735 or any planer. Looks like the Shelix head is $422.95 from Byrd but if the machine is 6 years old and the head 2, maybe 3 years old then I still think $800 is high.

It's sort of like spending $50k on a swimming pool thinking it adds at least $50k to your house when it comes to selling - it doesn't even come close to adding that kind of value.

· Premium Member
4,447 Posts
With the upgrades it’s probably not a bad deal at all. The pros’ - helical planer is now a surfacer, not just a thicknesser, definitely less noise, money saved on new knives, plane boards you couldn’t with a straight knife. The con’s - how hard has it been used? How many rotations left in cutters? Keep in mind helical heads draw more amps - load affects motor life? I think duty cycles and amp draws are something to consider with a universal motor. Remember this is not much different than a circular saw motor, I think.

Just a comment on helical planers. And partly I’m coming from the fact that it‘s a $1200 expense for my planer. But, I‘ve used a straight knife machine for over 20 years. Not gonna lie, I’ve ruined some lumber with it, and there are some boards I wouldn’t even send through it. But, 97.5% of highly figured wood I deal with is veneer b/c it’s just too hard to find dimensional lumber. I digress. But there are ways to work around figured wood, the main ones being SHARP knives and shallow cuts or hand planes and scrapers 💪💪.

So I spent the $1200 on a drum sander and have never looked back. Without a shadow of a doubt, the drum sander = THE biggest game changer I have ever added to my shop!! You can get by with a less than spectacular planer.

· Premium Member
6,764 Posts
Given the choice between an older $800 Dewalt makeover and a new Oliver with Byrd Cutterhead, the Oliver would win hands down. No thinking required.

· Registered
A cat made me do it.
1,470 Posts
Given the choice between an older $800 Dewalt makeover and a new Oliver with Byrd Cutterhead, the Oliver would win hands down. No thinking required.
And the Oliver includes a Wixey digital readout, a big plus.

Byrd sells DW735s with the Shelix installed for $1,595.

I have a 735 that I installed an OEM size Shelix and Wixey on, I like the combination, but if I was starting from the beginning now I'd likely go with the Oliver because of the price. Love the Wixey, for me it's a must-have on a planer.

About noise, when using the planner either way I'd call it very loud. In theory I think it'd make the most difference on wide stock, when you have the full width of a straight blade hitting the wood at the same time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts