Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
... seemed easy enough after a very helpful youtube video from what looks like our Kenbo. Thanks. Lets hope it works the way it is supposed to. I was a bit nervous.

Back to the beginning. I have been jointing and planing a lot of QSWO for my coffee table and have been having some minimal tear out. More from my lack of grain knowledge I think, but I think I finally picked up on how to read it. Some spots seem to tear out no matter what way you send it through though.

Anyway, tonight the boards stopped being pulled through the machine properly, sometimes stopping or going way too slow. They would also get what looked like black burn marks on them. I cleaned the table and waxed it. I also tried to clean the rollers, but need to do a better job on them. I could only do the bottoms that were exposed, since they would not spin by hand.

I had also never changed the blades since I bought the machine used about 2 years ago. The previous owner said that the other side of the blades were new, if and when I wanted to rotate them. I have been hesitant due to the horrendous time I had changing and setting my jointer knives. I figured it would be an equal nightmare in the planer.

Well after watching the video and seeing how easy Dewalt made it to change them, I figured I would give it a try. I followed what was shown in the video and was done in about a half hour, maybe less. My only concern/warning is be careful not to cross thread the bolts that hold the knives in place. It seemed easy to do on my machine and I think I did cross thread one, but it went in. The blade holder has pins to set the knives in the right spot and the knives have corresponding holes.

Easy as pie. I just hope they are right. I am done for the night and will test tomorrow.

Here is the video. Wow looks like it was just published last September. Great job Kenbo. I did not even know you were doing videos.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just an update. Planed some boards today and they came out glassy. I did get some tear out, but it was due to my mistakes feeding the board the wrong way again. So blade changes in the Dewalt are easy. Do not fear change, only fear the cost of the knives.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks, Paul....I have the 734, and have been trying to muster up the nerve to reverse the blades......looks to be really easy....

On a side note, on your 734, do you get a lot of waste thrown out the in-feed side of of the planer?....I do, even though I have it hooked up to my dust collector.....I can literally build up 4 or 5 inches of waste on the floor in about 30 min......it's almost as though the dust collection is not working, but, I have checked and it is not clogged up....just wondering.....

·
Registered
364 Posts
Just an update. Planed some boards today and they came out glassy. I did get some tear out, but it was due to my mistakes feeding the board the wrong way again. So blade changes in the Dewalt are easy. Do not fear change, only fear the cost of the knives.
I recently planed some reclaimed tulip poplar that was probably 10 years old, very dry and very hard and had a few coats of enamel paint on it. I did not know this was a bad thing to do......

I ruined my 734's blades and also the blades of my little 4 1/8" jointer.

I was thrilled to find that the blade change was as easy as you said. I have new blades coming for the jointer and I'll be back here asking for tips on setting them up. I can see it's going to be tricky and nothing like the 734.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Paul W Gillespie said:
Adot, you know the blades are reversible, right? Did you wreck both sides? While it is good that you have another set coming, make sure you use both sides of the ones you have.
Yes Paul, I turned my 734 blades around, the new set of blades are for my jointer....thanks.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, the jointer is a whole different ball game. I had to change mine a few months ago and it was a nightmare. Still not sure if the are really right, but it has been working well from my non expert point of view. I could not get them right with the straight edge method. I wound up buy a Oneway Multigauge for $90, but it made the job seem a lot easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts