Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had a Dewalt 734 planer for years. Ive never been a big fan of it. I have had feed issues with it since new. I tried another one and had the same issues. I guess my super old wood is to dusty for the rollers to get a good bite. I waxed the tables and cleaned the rollers constantly. But the way I really fixed it was to adjust the rollers to put more pressure on the wood. This is how I did it. You need to remove the planer base. There are the 2 height adjuster plates that need to have the screws taken out before flipping it over. Then the 4 base plate screws on the bottom. The rollers have the retaining plates held in by 4 screws. Pull them off and then pop the front roller off and remove the chain that connects the 2 rollers together. The drive roller is harder to remove because it has the chain connecting to the motor. But it moves with a little force. Pull the springs out and put a washer in the hole the spring sits in. Then reinstall the springs. When you goto put the plates back on, put a small washer between the body and the plate. It allows the rollers to hang down a little more against the wood. I had to grind a flat spot in the washer so that it fit and didn't hit the rollers bushing. Then just put it back together. It makes the planer work perfect and feeding will never be a problem again. Even with dull blades.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I eliminated 99% of my feed problems by removing the thickness indicator on the front, it was also causing the board to move off center. I never used the indicator anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts