Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Delta 22-540 12" planer that I bought on craigslist maybe 6 months ago. I has served its purpose, but I think I want to upgrade to something that I will get good results more consistently. I always get at least a little bit of snipe. Most of the time it is manageable but sometimes it is really bad. So I think when I get some extra money, I'm going to look into the dewalt DW735. My concern is with dust collection on the Dewalt. On my delta I cut a 4 1/2 inch hole in the dust hood for my dust collector. I sealed off the dust shoot on the bottom of the hood for a better seal. No dust makes it out of this thing. I can drop saw dust on the infeed/outfeed tables and it gets sucked into the planer. It works great. The dewalt has a small 2" port for a shopvac it looks like. Does anyone have experience with this model and if so how is the dust collection?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,117 Posts
Djone,
I have a dewalt 735. The port on the back takes either a 4" or 2 1/2" hose. There is also a built in ejector fan inside that helps push the chips out. It does a good job. You will get a small amount of chips on the table, more so if you stand wood up on edge. It doesn't really bother me. The planer does a good job, has two speeds, and it easy to change the blades on. Takes about ten minutes using the include t-handle allen wrench. I would recommend getting the accessory table extensions. I also have the mobile stand. One other thing they mention in the manual is that you have to use some sort of dust collection or shop vac or else that chips can jam up. Never tried it without the dust collector.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Woodworking Firefighter
513 Posts
I have the 735 as well and it's hooked up to a 2hp DC with 4" hose. I am very pleased with the Dust collection on this machine. As Mike said, you'll get a few chips on the table but nothing that I would consider a deal breaker. You won't regret the 735, easy knife changing, dual speeds, very powerful, and has a great reputation.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have had one for over 3 years and have gone through hundreds of boardfeet of mahogany, and white oak with it. It goes through blades fairly quickly, but they are very easy to change, and are readily available at the big box stores.

I agree with Beanie about the infeed and outfeed tables. If you don't buy them plan on making a stand with your own infeed and outfeed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts