Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see these all the time in the $400 to $450 asking price range. I think I can get it new for about $600 with an extra set of blades and extension tables.

I just made an offer for one that is used but looks to be in great shape. I offered $300 if its working properly.

What is with these units? Are they that great that they command a higher price?

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
About Sept of last year when I was looking for a planer, I read countless reviews as well as many opinions on this forum (I wasn't a member here yet). Now, I was only looking for new as I wasn't confident in my abilities to find a good used one so I errorred on a warranty unit. Most of the general consensus I came up with was the DeWalt DW735 ($600) was the top rated in the 13" or under portable planers. The #2 unit and very close in performance was the Rigid 13" Planer ($399). (Some reviews stated they preferred the Rigid based on the lessor price and the lifetime warranty.)

If you are set on the DW735 (I love mine for what I've used it for), I suggest looking at the DW735X. It comes with the infeed/outfeed tables & a 2nd set of knives. Right now at Home Depot it is $559 with Free Shipping. I paid about $50 more when I got mine via Rockler, but it came with the Compact 1.25 HP router at that time as a promo.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-1...laner-with-Knives-and-Tables-DW735X/203054755

·
7,222 Posts
I see these all the time in the $400 to $450 asking price range. I think I can get it new for about $600 with an extra set of blades and extension tables.

I just made an offer for one that is used but looks to be in great shape. I offered $300 if its working properly.

What is with these units? Are they that great that they command a higher price?
If I recall the DeWalt 735 was the first 3 knife "portable" planer. Not sure if the first two speed, or whether the Delta 22-580 beat DeWalt with two speeds.

Robust design. The DeWalt knives are renowned for not staying sharp long, or easily getting dings.

The DeWalt is supposed to have autolocking heads to eliminate snipe. I am one of the "lucky" owners whose machine creates snipe no matter what I do.

The internal fan does a great job of cleaning out the chips and debris - but you want to be connecting this to a dust collector. The fan is so powerful if not connected to a dust collector, the dust will be blown all over the place.

The comparable Delta unit the 22-590 does not seem as robust.

Infinity Tools sell better knives for the 735, not cheap, but supposed to stay sharper longer.

If you can get one of these for $300, that will be a good deal. I hope your unit does not exhibit snipe.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, I bought it. needs new blades and those tables but it was $300 and will be great for what I need it for. Very happy, for now...

also got a pc 3 x 21 belt sander which has a good weight to it. way better than the crapsman one I've been using.

papa's making cutting boards galore very shortly...

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Gideon wrote: <<What is with these units? Are they that great that they command a higher price?>>

In a word, Yes.

All three of the DeWalt planers, the 733, 734 and 735 bring good prices used because they have a great reputation. You got a darn good deal.

If you get the tables, they help cut down on snipe, which is the only drawback I've heard of with 735's.

Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts