Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When shaping wood (with the grain, of course) with a plane or router, how does one determine which end to start from? One direction seems to yield much smoother results than the other.

Thanks for your guidance with this...

...Christopher

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Welcome aboard Christopher.

Planing with the grain seems to be the school of thought as a rule of thumb.

I have gotten the best results on occassion going against the grain depending on wood species, tool sharpness and other variables.

Edging with a router, especially in brittle woods almost necessitates routing with the grain.

A spiral cutterhead with offset inserts is the best way to avoid it in a planer, but some people don't care for them. I just ordered one for my 25" Woodmaster planer.

Chiseling with the grain is also best when using these tools.

Hopefully we will get more comments I have often wanted to hear others' experience with this. Great question.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I generally slide the board against my t shirt before planeing,
The direction it slides smoothest is the direction it goes
into the planer, after a pass I flip the board for the next pass so
I'm always going with the grain.
As an added bonus I always have a drty belly spot on my shirt,
indicating I've been planeing again-LOL!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TexasTimbers,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Your answer indicated to me that I needed to ask two questions.

I was not clear enough in expressing my question. When I acknowledged "with the grain,of course" I meant as opposed to across the grain so that you knew that I wasn't a total bozo.

So, you have answered my second question - plane with the grain.

New first question: In studying a piece of wood how do I determine the direction on grain (with as opposed to against).

Thanks again...

...Christopher

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JCCLARK,

I was still writing my first reply while you posted. Your answer is useful - thanks!

...Christopher

·
Registered
801 Posts
Boards may have a V shape grain. Generally the point of the V is going Upward when tree grows. this would be the direction to go. I just finished planing a crapload of Oak and it was the smoothest finish I got sending thru the planer that way. Quartersawn is kinda hard to tell.

·
Senior Member (by age)
64 Posts
Hi Christopher;

If you look at the edge of the board you'll see the grain direction.

In most instances, the grain will "leave" the board on an angle. If you plane from the direction that the grain travels deeper into the board, the planner blades can grab and rip the wood along the grain line, resulting in tear out.

If you plane in the direction that the grain exits the wood , if it grabs the wood, it will rip out towards the edge and be removed as you feed the wood.

I hope I explained this clearly.

·
Registered
277 Posts
LOL-I know what you mean.
I work all day on a computer and am still amazed when people ask
me what I do when I get home-"Do you get on the computer?"
Heck no, that's the last thing I want to see.
I want to get in my shop and do something that's real:thumbsup:

Another thing on grain direction-
panty hose really grabs when rubbing against the grain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Steve, , buy not walking to close when you are wearing a skirt and hose. The worst is with the points on burl, they really tear the hose.:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :oops:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hand plane? (lots of type,, hand plane with the grain unless the wood says no, then you have another choice,, plane the other way,, just kidding, skewing a hand pland works sometimes also)

Router. Make a finish cut. Very little off for the last cut.

Planer.
I keep or return the boards for the next pass in the same direction it ran through the planner. This way if you have chip out, you can reverse the feed of the board on the next pass.
Light cuts.
jim

·
Senior Member (by age)
64 Posts
LOL-I know what you mean.
I work all day on a computer and am still amazed when people ask
me what I do when I get home-"Do you get on the computer?"
Heck no, that's the last thing I want to see.
I want to get in my shop and do something that's real:thumbsup:

Another thing on grain direction-
panty hose really grabs when rubbing against the grain.
Just a question;
how do you figure out what size to wear:eek:

Lee

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
I have no problem admitting I use panty hose for a specific purpose. Any diver worth his salt - and is secure in his hetero-ness will tell you life is much easier on getting that wetsuit off and on with a pair of full torso panty hose. Especially when the boat is rocking to and fro and you've just come up from an exhausting swim back to the boat because a rogue current tried to carry you off to the Bering Sraits.
I have never understood divers who say "You'll never catch me in panty hose!" My response is always "I understand. If I was confused about my sexualality I wouldn't feel comfortable either."
So I have a legit reason to wear them - what is y'alls excuse! :icon_smile:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts