Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend of mine wanted a desktop organizer, and decided he wanted to make it a bit more modern by adding in some inductive chargers. Basically, you put your phone/laptop on top of the chargers and it charges the battery wirelessly. No cords to worry about, just toss them on and go. So, he asked if I could put it into a box. Ended up routing out the panel top to about 3/32” thick so as to minimize the amount of interference from the wood. I have no idea if it will work since I don’t have his phone/tablet with me, but it should. Theoretically.

Wood is maple that I found at Home Depot with some decent figure, and the panel/drawer front is Mahogany Crotch veneer.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
That's nice. I've been needing to make something like that to store wallet, keys, watch, etcetera without the chargers. I like your design.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
That's a great idea and design. A good way to hide some of the ugly electronics associated with our modern conveniences.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
That is a neat design and if it was a little bigger, I could put my laptop on it, while I watched TV. My only question is, do the chargers get hot, and if so, are there vents to keep them cool?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't believe they get hot, and it is open to the drawer below, which has the cutout in lieu of a drawer pull.

Thanks guys. Hopefully it works. 3/32" was as this as I wanted to go with the panel without risking it falling apart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts