Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my step daughters got a good job with the county about 2 months ago and asked me to make her a name plate for her desk. A few eye battings later and I could only say "OK".

This is not done yet. But it's far enough along to show it here.

The name plate is purple heart. I scroll sawed it then added hand carved touches to the lettering a couple of weeks ago. Another week or so and the purple should be vibrant enough to lacquer. When you cut or sand purple heart, the freshly-exposed surfaces are an ugly peach pit color. It takes time for it to oxidize to the beautiful purple hue.

Here's what it looked like fresh.

DSCN3715.jpg

And after about two weeks of air and light exposure, notice how much richer the color has become. The lighting is the same in this and the previous picture. Here I'm setting the TS blade for a pleasing viewing angle.

DSCN3739.jpg

The stand (onto which it will be glued) is hard maple. These parts are not yet attached.

DSCN3748.jpg

DSCN3749.jpg

On the back side - facing herself - she requested a certain Bible verse to be displayed. So I'm going to carve the lettering into the maple. Then I'll paint the lettering black for high contrast.

DSCN3750.jpg

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
C-man: I'll definitely show the progress on this piece as I work through it. I love the color and so does she. When she requested for me to make her a name plate she specifically said she wants "that cool purple wood".

That looks cool, Willie.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you imagine your maple holder block, hollowed out, with a "soft glow" backlight in it? Wow!

I just love see-through scroll saw work.
I bet that would be cool.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Excellent work!! I've been trying to come up with an idea for my new desk job, but scroll work is out of the question.

I'm looking forward to your finished piece.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent work!! I've been trying to come up with an idea for my new desk job, but scroll work is out of the question.

I'm looking forward to your finished piece.
Is it out of the question because you don't have a scroll saw? If so, the same thing could be done with a coping or jeweler's saw.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Chaincarver Steve said:
Is it out of the question because you don't have a scroll saw? If so, the same thing could be done with a coping or jeweler's saw.
I'm missing skills, but most of all patience for that type of intricate work. But thanks for the suggestions.

Mark

·
Banned
615 Posts
What's the dimensions on your piece? I'm guessing 3x12x.5" ? About? I would love to make my wife one, but the only exotic material I have on hand is 8" long 1/4" thick padauk. I may have to go buy something else.

I hope you don't mind me copying yours, I love it! And think it would be a great gift for my wife. I'm sure mine won't turn out as nice, but the carving aspect of it will be fun to do.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I finally got around to carving the lettering on the back of the name plate. To do so, I needed a way to hold the piece steady while I chisel away.

So I set the scrap back into place.

DSCN3775.jpg

And made a simple holder to keep the parts still.

DSCN3776.jpg

The lettering is upside down because that's the orientation that allowed the piece to tilt towards me for ease of carving.

DSCN3777.jpg

I tried to carved the faceted letter style common in stone carving. Honestly, I've never carved lettering like this so this IS my test piece.

DSCN3778.jpg

Good thing I have complete confidence in my own abilities. And luckily the lettering came out pretty decent. Certainly not the best of lettering. But it could have been far worse. I took my time and thought it through then hoped for the best. :thumbsup:

DSCN3782.jpg

My next step is to paint the lettering black then peel off the paper. Then I'll sand the piece to clean up and paint slop. I'm doing a test right now (on scrap) to see if acrylic paint will work under a lacquer clear coat. If it doesn't seem like it'll be fine I'll try enamel. After that I'll just go and buy lacquer-based black paint.

I suspect the enamel may end up being the way to go. I've had luck in the past spraying clear lacquer over enamel model paint-ed (Testors) details. But I'll run a test before committing. Whatever I do, I need to have it done by her birthday, this coming Monday.

Or maybe I'll just take a ride to the Depot tomorrow and get a can of black lacquer spray paint and be done with it. Yeah... That's the ticket. But I guess I better check my stash first. I have a habit of running out and buying paints, finishes and hardware I already have. Only to find out later that I wasted my time and money.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That is a really cool project. The quote is a great reminder, I hope the atheists don't give her flak for it being a government building and all. We had some hubub down here about a Bible being in the chambers and thankfully the majority told the person to STFU.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is a really cool project. The quote is a great reminder, I hope the atheists don't give her flak for it being a government building and all. We had some hubub down here about a Bible being in the chambers and thankfully the majority told the person to STFU.
The verse is on the side that faces herself. So, hopefully, it won't become an issue.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts