Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just starting to build a new desk and here is some of the curly maple that I will be using along with the first drawer case section.

Attachments

·
In The Basement
460 Posts
Question- how is the front of a desk attached to the sides?? I'm referring to the solid wood stiles that cover the edges like a frame..

·
Registered
380 Posts
I assume you are taking about the fact frame. If so there are several methods. You can:

Just glue them and clamp them. But (assuming the case is plywood ) gluing to end grain plywood isn't the strongest. Though some say a face frame isn't subjected to that much force anyway.

If the inside of the case is not seen as in a case that's full of drawers you can use pocket screws. More than strong enough for a face frame. But some guys really hate to use fasteners of any kind in case work. I say it's quick and strong and if not visible who'll know for the most part?

You can use biscuits. Also plenty strong and they're hidden when the inside of the case will be seen.

I'm sure others have other methods but these are the main ones. I have used all three and for me I think about the look I want and what it's going to be used for to decide which way to go.

·
In The Basement
460 Posts
Thank you for the reply, now that I know it's a face frame I will watch some youtube videos- I understand each of the methods you listed

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry it took a while to get back but I have been busy with the desk and ahere are some the results. I am using curly maple with a dyed ash plywood. As far as the faceframe. I used 1/4 inch X 3/4 inch curly maple glued and pin nailed. I always try to set the nails at opposite angles so they resist each other. The pictures are of the other side drawer case and the self top and a pile of the curly maple trim molding that I made up.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I said, I was busy this past weekend so here are some more pics.
1st is of the desk pieces built.
2nd is of the drawers. tried out my new dovetail jig
3rd is of the all the pieces for the drawer fronts
4th is of a dry fit for the drawer front. lots of sanding to do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was busy over the holiday timeframe.
got the desk basically finished and dry assembled and then built the desk top, good thing for long bar clamps. Next comes putting on a finish. The dye really makes the curly maple pop.
1st Dry fit of desk asembly
2nd building the desk top
3rd and 4th another dry fit

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry I didn't answer your question earlier. As far as the joint for the desk top, i used a tongue and groove. Many test pieces to get it exact and I mean exact so as not to have too much scraping and sanding.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
fI also forgot to add, I still need to either buy or make the handles, are there any suggestions as to color if I buy them. If I make them they will be a dyed curly maple or if someone has a better suggestion. I am all ears as I don't know what to do yet.

·
In The Basement
460 Posts
Very cool!! I have a desk project in very early stages- getting some ideas thanks

I think the light curly maple color for handles would look great

1 - 20 of 20 Posts