Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Again, you're making accusations, but you haven't given me specifics. How do you know Tedswoodworking plans are fake? Have you tried them? Have you purchased them? If you haven't or if anyone else hasn't purchased them, please don't give me your opinion on them since it comes across as ignorant. I'm looking for genuine help.
I haven't personally bought anything from Teds. However, a thirty second Google search shows the following complaints:

1) A vast number of his plans have been stolen from other sites, including ones that have put copyright protection on their work.
2) The contact address given in his domain registry is false (at one time it showed as being in the country Ireland, a city and county in England, and a phone number with a Vietnamese country code and the rest of the number possibly not valid anywhere.
3) The guarantee isn't, and you can't get your money back if you try.
4) The Better Business Bureau rates the company with an F, for, among other things, failing to respond to customer complaints, failure to respond for request for information from the BBB, and listing an invalid mailing address for sending complaints to.

Basically, whoever owns it is a sleaze who is only out to make money however he can, including by stealing other people's work and reselling it.

You can also go back through this forum and do a search: there's been a lot of discussion with people asking whether it was any good and getting a lot of really detailed answers. I think that's part of why you drew so much fire for bringing it up a few times: the information is out there and easily accessible, and no one ever seems to do research before asking. The first three Google results for "Ted's Woodworking" are people talking about the fact that it's a scam, and a quick search on probably every woodworking forum out there will show this sort of discussion.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
We all have a hard time believing your not a spammer, as one shows up every few weeks, and they all keep mentioning Ted the unicorn roping werewolf rider....(otherwise known as the phantom woodworker). So while you ask us to give you the benefit of the doubt, your going to have I do the same. Why not shoot some photos of your prior woodworking projects....and put the doubt to bed.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
you haven't given me specifics. How do you know Tedswoodworking plans are fake? Have you tried them? Have you purchased them? If you haven't or if anyone else hasn't purchased them, please don't give me your opinion on them since it comes across as ignorant. I'm looking for genuine help.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, most of us who have been at this for any length of time know that some things are just phony. Its not our excellence at woodworking, or anything like that. Its life that teaches us what to trust and what to reject. Ask yourself this. Did someone really take the time to sit down and draw out complete plans and videos for thousands of projects and then decide to sell them for peanuts?

I spent over 20 years as a Mechanical Designer who worked everyday in the design and development of everything from concepts to detailed shop drawings and complete sets of plans to build automated factory machinery. I did not even come close to making as many sets full plans as this non-person Ted is selling even when you add the drawings I make for my own use in woodworking.

I have also taken on contract work from home and my standard fee for a single drawing is $35.00 per hour with a minimum charge of 1 hour. I have been told I do not charge enough for my work! How many hours do you think it took to draw all the plans Ted offers?

A careful search of the info on the Ted's plans info will yield a wealth of information on copyright infringement and stolen stuff from sites that offer free plans on the net. Most of us are very careful to never "steal" the work of others and try to pass it off as our own. Ted's woodworking plans has been proven to be doing exactly that!

As with anything that you plan to call your own, you would never ask someone else to make it for you and then tell others you did it yourself. You'll find that people in all walks of life expect others to research things for themselves. When told by the good folks at this forum to avoid Ted, it would have been in your own best interest to find out for yourself why they would tell you that. Had you looked just a little bit at the wealth of information already on the net about this scam you would have found these...

http://www.gosureviews.com/teds-woodworking-review-scam-alert/

http://woodgears.ca/ted/

http://www.woodworkingformeremortals.com/2012/04/teds-woodworking-fraud.html

The last two links are to sites that are owned by fellow wood worker's who I personally trust to provide very good information.

Had you taken the time to search even this forum you would have found several detailed postings from long time, well respected members right here.

There are a great bunch of guys who hang out at woodworking talk and one thing I will tell you about them. Everyone of us really dislike when folks what us to "hold their hand" instead of researching what they are told for themselves when what they are told does not fit into what they want.

Here it is in plan English for you. Ted is a fake name, linked to a phony address, selling stolen plans, to suckers!

You have been told in this very posting, tell us what you have in mind and ask nicely, we will walk you through it for free!

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Shalisha, Shalisha, Shalisha. Don't skew my "... You're an idiot" comment out of context. Quote my ENTIRE statement if you're going to try to call me on a foul. What I said was - to paraphrase - if you can honestly review the information here and watch some of the smarmy dweebs' videos on YouTube who are trying to sell the Ted's scam AND STILL CONVINCE YOURSELF THAT IT'S LEGIT: YOU'RE AN IDIOT.

And I absolutely stand by that position because it takes virtually zero research to learn, with no doubt, that it's all a bunch of BS.

So, why would a new member coming in to talk about how lost they are without the saving grace of Ted's Woodworking be under suspicion of being a spammer? Let's see; maybe because virtually EVERY OTHER person who joins the forum only to immediately start in with the ringing of "Ted's" praise bell actually IS one of the sorry SOBs trying to perpetrate the scam. So yeah, we're all a little sensitive to the situation.

If you are genuine, congratulations. Maybe you've been saved from the wallet reaming you WOULD have been victim of. And if you are genuine move on and quit acting like we're being assholes by answering your request for opinions with a big fat "avoid Ted's like the plague". If you're at a loss as to WHY we would say such a thing - still, at this juncture - then reread this thread.

And no, I have not "personally bought the Ted's package". I don't need to get screwed over to learn from the mistakes of 100,000 other people whining about their experience of being screwed over by the scam.

You really think I value my credibility and reputation around here so little that I'm going to tell you on the forum that Ted's is nothing more and an outright fraud without having information to back that assessment up? Especially to someone who literally just joined the forum?

I'm here to learn, share, help others and help myself. Not to spread lies and rumors. If you truly are genuine then I'm sorry your first posting experience has been so jarring and, in your eyes, "hostile". Hopefully you've learned by our strong disfavor to not utter Ted's name in vain ever again. And it is always a vain effort to ever mention "his" name in ANY degree of positive light.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Shalisha,

You were doing fine until you mentioned Ted's Plans. A lot of negative energy about that site as you observed.

If you are a beginner, you may find free plans may not have the detail you are looking for.

Consider looking at sites like Wood magazine, Fine Woodworking or ShopNotes. Find a project you want to build and get their plans, not very expensive.

http://www.shopnotes.com/

Woodsmith Shop also has plans, DVD and on some public TV stations a weekly show.

http://www.woodsmithshop.com/

Thank you Dave. I appreciate you sending me the link.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Shalisha, Shalisha, Shalisha. Don't skew my "... You're an idiot" comment out of context. Quote my ENTIRE statement if you're going to try to call me on a foul. What I said was - to paraphrase - if you can honestly review the information here and watch some of the smarmy dweebs' videos on YouTube who are trying to sell the Ted's scam AND STILL CONVINCE YOURSELF THAT IT'S LEGIT: YOU'RE AN IDIOT.

And I absolutely stand by that position because it takes virtually zero research to learn, with no doubt, that it's all a bunch of BS.

So, why would a new member coming in to talk about how lost they are without the saving grace of Ted's Woodworking be under suspicion of being a spammer? Let's see; maybe because virtually EVERY OTHER person who joins the forum only to immediately start in with the ringing of "Ted's" praise bell actually IS one of the sorry SOBs trying to perpetrate the scam. So yeah, we're all a little sensitive to the situation.

If you are genuine, congratulations. Maybe you've been saved from the wallet reaming you WOULD have been victim of. And if you are genuine move on and quit acting like we're being assholes by answering your request for opinions with a big fat "avoid Ted's like the plague". If you're at a loss as to WHY we would say such a thing - still, at this juncture - then reread this thread.

And no, I have not "personally bought the Ted's package". I don't need to get screwed over to learn from the mistakes of 100,000 other people whining about their experience of being screwed over by the scam.

You really think I value my credibility and reputation around here so little that I'm going to tell you on the forum that Ted's is nothing more and an outright fraud without having information to back that assessment up? Especially to someone who literally just joined the forum?

I'm here to learn, share, help others and help myself. Not to spread lies and rumors. If you truly are genuine then I'm sorry your first posting experience has been so jarring and, in your eyes, "hostile". Hopefully you've learned by our strong disfavor to not utter Ted's name in vain ever again. And it is always a vain effort to ever mention "his" name in ANY degree of positive light.

I'm not "jarred" - just in awe of your ignorance and lack of people skills. I didn't "tote the saving grace of anything." I simply ASKED about the product.

When I ask someone's opinion about something, I expect their response to be intelligent, articulate and logical. Your response was sorely lacking in each category.

Most importantly, I expect the person's opinion to be based on their experience with the product - not their fear-based suspicions or rumors.

You gave a hostile, ignorant and antagonistic response - without saying why you thought the product was a "scam."

Tedswoodworking site was the only product that came up when I googled detailed woodworking plans. I thought about buying it since it promised detailed, step-by-step instructions, but was afraid to spend $67 for it without getting feedback from others first. This is a woodworking forum, so it seemed logical to me to ask others on here what they thought.

You never bought the product yourself, so why don't you just keep your opinion to yourself the next time someone asks about the product - or anything else with which you have no experience. In the alternative, if you feel compelled to talk about things with which you have no personal experience, then respond respectfully.

You have to learn to agree to disagree instead of calling people names. Don't worry. You didn't scare me off. But you are someone I have no intention of talking to. You may have tons of woodworking skills, but you have absolutely zero people skills.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
At the risk of sounding arrogant, most of us who have been at this for any length of time know that some things are just phony. Its not our excellence at woodworking, or anything like that. Its life that teaches us what to trust and what to reject. Ask yourself this. Did someone really take the time to sit down and draw out complete plans and videos for thousands of projects and then decide to sell them for peanuts?

I spent over 20 years as a Mechanical Designer who worked everyday in the design and development of everything from concepts to detailed shop drawings and complete sets of plans to build automated factory machinery. I did not even come close to making as many sets full plans as this non-person Ted is selling even when you add the drawings I make for my own use in woodworking.

I have also taken on contract work from home and my standard fee for a single drawing is $35.00 per hour with a minimum charge of 1 hour. I have been told I do not charge enough for my work! How many hours do you think it took to draw all the plans Ted offers?

A careful search of the info on the Ted's plans info will yield a wealth of information on copyright infringement and stolen stuff from sites that offer free plans on the net. Most of us are very careful to never "steal" the work of others and try to pass it off as our own. Ted's woodworking plans has been proven to be doing exactly that!

As with anything that you plan to call your own, you would never ask someone else to make it for you and then tell others you did it yourself. You'll find that people in all walks of life expect others to research things for themselves. When told by the good folks at this forum to avoid Ted, it would have been in your own best interest to find out for yourself why they would tell you that. Had you looked just a little bit at the wealth of information already on the net about this scam you would have found these...

http://www.gosureviews.com/teds-woodworking-review-scam-alert/

http://woodgears.ca/ted/

The last two links are to sites that are owned by fellow wood worker's who I personally trust to provide very good information.

Had you taken the time to search even this forum you would have found several detailed postings from long time, well respected members right here.

There are a great bunch of guys who hang out at woodworking talk and one thing I will tell you about them. Everyone of us really dislike when folks what us to "hold their hand" instead of researching what they are told for themselves when what they are told does not fit into what they want.

Here it is in plan English for you. Ted is a fake name, linked to a phony address, selling stolen plans, to suckers!

You have been told in this very posting, tell us what you have in mind and ask nicely, we will walk you through it for free!
I appreciate you explaining this to me in a tactful way. When I first asked this question, only Steve responded. I didn't get anyone else's feedback until today. But thank you now that I've read others' responses - that were tactful and respectful.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I haven't personally bought anything from Teds. However, a thirty second Google search shows the following complaints:

1) A vast number of his plans have been stolen from other sites, including ones that have put copyright protection on their work.
2) The contact address given in his domain registry is false (at one time it showed as being in the country Ireland, a city and county in England, and a phone number with a Vietnamese country code and the rest of the number possibly not valid anywhere.
3) The guarantee isn't, and you can't get your money back if you try.
4) The Better Business Bureau rates the company with an F, for, among other things, failing to respond to customer complaints, failure to respond for request for information from the BBB, and listing an invalid mailing address for sending complaints to.

Basically, whoever owns it is a sleaze who is only out to make money however he can, including by stealing other people's work and reselling it.

You can also go back through this forum and do a search: there's been a lot of discussion with people asking whether it was any good and getting a lot of really detailed answers. I think that's part of why you drew so much fire for bringing it up a few times: the information is out there and easily accessible, and no one ever seems to do research before asking. The first three Google results for "Ted's Woodworking" are people talking about the fact that it's a scam, and a quick search on probably every woodworking forum out there will show this sort of discussion.

Thank you. I appreciate your response. I googled stuff on him but I wanted woodworkers' views because theirs would seem more credible to me. Thank you again.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Thank you. I appreciate your response. I googled stuff on him but I wanted woodworkers' views because theirs would seem more credible to me. Thank you again.
Really? You actually Googled this and STILL had to ask us? Yeah, you should buy Ted's fine woodworking plans extravaganza: fools and their money are SUPPOSED to part. It's proverbial.

Pssh, and you have the nerve to question MY judgement. :no:

·
where's my table saw?
28,933 Posts
Ted's plans are reviewed by Ted.... what?

If he reviews his own plans what would you expect him to say ...don't get them? That's incredible: http://tedswoodworkingg.com/

Of the first 10 listings in the Yahoo search All of them, except one are by Ted and send you to Ted's Woodworking site......hmmmm. That just ain't right.
http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=ytff1-tyc-inbox&p=teds%20woodworking&type=

Woodgears, the woodworker Mattias Wandel has this comment: http://woodgears.ca/ted/index.html
His website: http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/

Steve Ramsey has this to say:
http://woodgears.ca/ted/index.html

21 - 32 of 32 Posts