Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am designing the interior layout for a fabrication shop, and I'm concerned about space requirements for safe placement of equipment. In doing so I'm trying to find any of the following to use as reference:
  • sample floorplans of woodshops
  • architectural or interior graphic standards for woodshops, metalshops and associated tools.
  • suggestions for tool adjacencies (i.e. what tools should be located nearest to eachother)
  • specific space requirements for major tools (table saw, drill press, CNC router, etc.)
  • 2D and/or 3D CAD blocks of major tools
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DIAL.

·
where's my table saw?
29,992 Posts

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,583 Posts
A shop set up is a very personal thing and the space requirements are different for everyone. Depending on what kind of work you will be doing, and what kind of equipment you have, you shop size and layout can change drastically. Woodnthings has provided some good links that you may find helpful. It's pretty hard to plan something, without a base to plan around. What size shop are we talking about here? What type of equipment will you be placing in this shop? How many people will be working in the shop at one time? You say it is a production shop but you don't mention what type of production. If you are using sheet goods, the amount of space required, is a lot more than if you are making wine stoppers. This is a question, with no real answer. No matter how well you plan the shop, and no matter how much information you receive, once production starts, there are going to be areas that will need revamping or improving. This I can assure you. Have some fun with it, and experiment with some placements on paper. If you know the rough size of each machine, and the size of the shop, it is not hard to make some paper cutouts and arrange them on paper to see how a layout would work. As far as what machines should be situated next to each other, again, this depends on what operation you are performing. I wish you luck, and I hope that you will post some photos when you get the shop arranged. i would be very interested in seeing it.
Ken

·
where's my table saw?
29,992 Posts
This is probably a "drive by thread"

dial posted one time, no response, 5 bullet question requires a 233 page answer, no specifics, etc...etc,:wallbash: bill

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,583 Posts
dial posted one time, no response, 5 bullet question requires a 233 page answer, no specifics, etc...etc,:wallbash: bill
Yeah, I kinda figured that Bill but I'm bored and felt like posting something. :laughing:

·
Registered
13,311 Posts
I am designing the interior layout for a fabrication shop, and I'm concerned about space requirements for safe placement of equipment. In doing so I'm trying to find any of the following to use as reference:
  • sample floorplans of woodshops
  • architectural or interior graphic standards for woodshops, metalshops and associated tools.
  • suggestions for tool adjacencies (i.e. what tools should be located nearest to eachother)
  • specific space requirements for major tools (table saw, drill press, CNC router, etc.)
  • 2D and/or 3D CAD blocks of major tools
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DIAL.
Are you doing to construct a personal shop or will this be a commercial endeavor where governmental regulation will be a factor?

If commercial what product(s) will be produced?

George

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Another OPW.

But anyway... A starting point.

What is the size of the largest piece that you are going to cut?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts