Woodworking Talk banner

Design software

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  IlliniBone 
#1 ·
Good morning! Does anyone out there use software for designing projects? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

#7 ·
I'm an electrical engineer by day and use AutoCAD on a semi-regular basis at work. Going back and forth between it a Sketchup is not the easiest at times, but I've found Sketchup to be much easier with basic 3D design. I drew up plans for a buffet for the wife from a picture in a couple of hours last week. I'm still experimenting with the CutList settings, but it seems to be a pretty good material takeoff extension.

#8 ·
sketchup has a pretty harsh learning curve to start but once you've got the basics it's much easier to develop the other skills. I like using it but most times I do a 2-d design on paper in a much shorter time than I can do anything on sketchup. I have modeled my whole house in sketchup (the basic structure, not the cosmetic details) for purposes of making quick changes to see what I like better, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.