Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been asked to design and build a trophy case, with a somewhat motocross theme.
Right away I'm thinking that the case will be paintgrade.
The recipient is an avid trail rider and racer, and does guided wilderness tours.
Now my problem is how to figure out a design that will be heirloom quality, and appeal to an older audience, and still retain some sort of motocross theme.

If the whole thing gets lost translation, I may just go with a more traditional design.
Thanks in advance to anyone that decides to chime in; this project will be due sometime in July.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No real direction on this yet...going to go by for a consultation within the next couple weeks. The bike number is a great idea already...thinking a plaque of the number at the centre of a frieze board or across the top stretcher would be a good touch.
As far as bike colors go...maybe just placing them in there subtly would be a nice touch as well.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not sure if you've decided on anything yet, but as an avid motocrosser myself, I would like to share my opinion. Bike colors probably won't work because many of us change bike brands frequently. The number thing is a great idea though because for most of us, our number means something special to us. Most of my trophies are around 24" tall and less than 10" wide. Obviously everyone's trophies will be slightly different. Please post a picture of your work when you are finished.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So...weeks have gone by and I've heard nothing back from the prospect. So I guess I'm glad I didn't put a bunch of time into this.
But, I did have most of the concept figured out. For the primary construction I was going to build a breakfront style cabinet with or without doors like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIjkg8BzhAg
And for details it was going to be very simple: A numbered plaque high in the centre, and then beneath the crown at the top I was going to place alternating dentil molding to simulate a motocross tire tread.

I hope they do eventually get back to me on this though, as I was pretty stoked to do this build.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just remembered that there is a Canadian Pro National in Kamloops, BC. If you're not already a fan, you should check it out. It's at a place called Whispering Pines Raceway or something along those lines. I hope your prospect comes through also. I would love to see you build this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts