Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need design/advice/ideas on a display counter. It will display candy and chocolate bars. There are 3 shelves maybe 4. The shelves are plexiglass. What is the best way to hold up the plexiglass? The client wants it open with no supports in the center.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,945 Posts
I assume that you have designed this cabinet such that the thickness of plexiglass and length of shelves is appropriate to the weight of the candy.

I would use traditional shelf supports like THESE

George

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I need design/advice/ideas on a display counter. It will display candy and chocolate bars. There are 3 shelves maybe 4. The shelves are plexiglass. What is the best way to hold up the plexiglass? The client wants it open with no supports in the center.
Plexiglas for that length in thickness up to ½" will sag from it's own weight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume that you have designed this cabinet such that the thickness of plexiglass and length of shelves is appropriate to the weight of the candy.

I would use traditional shelf supports like THESE

George
No, at the moment I just made them 1/8". Not sure what thickness they have to be.

·
where's my table saw?
28,593 Posts
plexiglass won't work . period

It's not structural ... well 1" might work. Glass would be better. Without a center support you are asking for trouble. JMO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
The picture the client wants you to emulate has a support on the front - they are more like trays then shelves. Be up front with them... plain plexi shelves will not even support themselves like cabinetman and woodnthings are telling you! At 60 inches, I would put a center support (even for glass). This whole project was conceived to give you a headache.

·
Registered
614 Posts
What about using a dado on the sides and back? You would lose adjust-ability but it may be enough to stiffen up the shelves.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The picture the client wants you to emulate has a support on the front - they are more like trays then shelves. Be up front with them... plain plexi shelves will not even support themselves like cabinetman and woodnthings are telling you! At 60 inches, I would put a center support (even for glass). This whole project was conceived to give you a headache.

I'll tell him it won't work and they will bend in the middle.

This client doesn't think like we do, he'll probably say "it will be fine, I'll support all the center with candy bar boxes".

I don't know if these jobs are a pain in the butt or an opportunity to be creative, either way I usually get an headache :laughing:

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I'll tell him it won't work and they will bend in the middle.

This client doesn't think like we do, he'll probably say "it will be fine, I'll support all the center with candy bar boxes".

I don't know if these jobs are a pain in the butt or an opportunity to be creative, either way I usually get an headache :laughing:
Doing work for clients is contingent on their whims, and their trust that you have the knowledge to suggest what will work and what won't.

You might suggest installing vertical standards at the rear of the case, and using shelf brackets that protrude forward. There would be no visible vertical obstruction in the middle. Shelf brackets also come angle adjustable. Shelf systems also available with clear brackets.
http://www.dkhardware.com/product-23238-cpb312-clear-12-polycarbonate-shelf-bracket.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doing work for clients is contingent on their whims, and their trust that you have the knowledge to suggest what will work and what won't.

You might suggest installing vertical standards at the rear of the case, and using shelf brackets that protrude forward. There would be no visible vertical obstruction in the middle. Shelf brackets also come angle adjustable. Shelf systems also available with clear brackets.
http://www.dkhardware.com/product-23238-cpb312-clear-12-polycarbonate-shelf-bracket.html

Very good, I'll take the design plan and ideas and have a chat with him.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts