Woodworking Talk banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
A possibility, seeing as Canada is (was) closely linked to the UK.... Try searching for Methylated Spirits, which is europes name for denatured alcohol. Its usually tinted deep purple as a safety thing, but its great for making shellac with.
The search on Amazon.ca brings up denatured alcohol which of course is what I really want. The Canadian prices are unbelievable at $50 A QUART.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
If DNA gets becomes prohibited everywhere, what will people use to make shellac?

Are the VOCs different in DNA than in Grain Alcohol?

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Currently in stock on Amazon at about $21 / gallon. Note the disclaimer.
There is a note on mine that says, "This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location. Please choose a different delivery location."

Is that the disclaimer you were referring to? I live in So Cal, where DNA is banned, so I am not surprised.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Oh......

This is the disclaimer I was referring to:

“Not intended for sale or use as a thinner“

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Naphtha was once described to me as "High Octane" mineral spirits. It is more flammable and evaporates faster.
I think it cleans brushes more thoroughly and leaves behind less residue than spirits. And most importantly, no longer available where I live!

I don't think Coleman Fuel is Naphtha. I think Coleman Fuel is highly refined gasoline "white gas"
I am still trying to solve my denatured alcohol replacement problem. Today when I searched for naphtha the Wikipedia entry showed a picture of Coleman Camp Fuel. And the cans in our local Canadian Tire actually say Camp Fuel / Naphtha.

I need to do more research I guess.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You might want to check out this video on YouTube: Quick Tips #27 A Cheaper Alternative To Naphtha. He suggests usng "Kinsford orderless lighter fluid." I haven't used it myself but think I might give it a shot on some scrap wood. Target has 32 oz. for less than $4 as compared to Amazon at $15.

·
Village Idiot
4,960 Posts
Thanks, Steve. Nice to get your advice again. I will try methyl hydrate. In another comment on this thread I mentioned ... Finico DNA which shows 85% ethanol and 15% methanol. Any comments about how this might work?

Gary
Itll work the same as any other stuff. The wood isnt going to care what kind of alcohol you use to wipe it off, be it ethanol, methanol or isopropyl, or a blend in any ratio. Only thing you need to be aware of is methanol is toxic to ingest, and not the nicest thing to have on your skin either. Wear gloves, which you should be doing with any solvent, and make sure you have good ventilation, same reason

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
You might want to check out this video on YouTube: Quick Tips #27 A Cheaper Alternative To Naphtha. He suggests usng "Kinsford orderless lighter fluid." I haven't used it myself but think I might give it a shot on some scrap wood. Target has 32 oz. for less than $4 as compared to Amazon at $15.
The price is right. Thank you.

Gary

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Itll work the same as any other stuff. The wood isnt going to care what kind of alcohol you use to wipe it off, be it ethanol, methanol or isopropyl, or a blend in any ratio. Only thing you need to be aware of is methanol is toxic to ingest, and not the nicest thing to have on your skin either. Wear gloves, which you should be doing with any solvent, and make sure you have good ventilation, same reason
Nice feedback ... thanks. I can battle the ingestion ... it's the inhalation that worries me more. I need to ventilate my workshop better.

Gary

·
Village Idiot
4,960 Posts
Nice feedback ... thanks. I can battle the ingestion ... it's the inhalation that worries me more. I need to ventilate my workshop better.

Gary
Far as solvents go, alcohol is pretty low on the list of things to worry about. Please note, im not saying dont worry at all, just that theres a lot of difference between alcohol vapors and lacquer thinner vapors. When in doubt, a respirator with organic vapor cartridges works wonders

·
johnep
1,981 Posts
Only a trace of purple in Meths. However, restrictions in Scotland as a few meths drinkers there and the methyl alcohol content very toxic and can cause blindness. Problem has been compounded by the solvent "sniffers".
I use it without problems. IMS (Industrial Methylated Spirit) is controlled but a licenced user can use for perfumes etc.
I is colourless. Other spirit products such as Surgical Spirit (Similar to your rubbing alcohol) also abused north of the border. It contains methyl salicylate (Wintergreen). For very expensive perfumes, we would sell Quassin powder and solution as a denaturant. Quassia wood is also known as wormwood and main supplier is Jamaica where it was used for furniture.
Has been replaced by Bitrex, a synthetic product in expensive perfumes.
Pure alcohol is very strictly controlled. We had a "bonded area" where it was used for flavours. In Arab countries we used Light Liquid Paraffin for our popular "Bint" perfume.
Iso propyl alcohol (IPA) is available. Was used as a model aircraft engine fuel and general purpose solvent. Acetone is a fire risk. If I want to use it, I use nail varnish remover.
johnep

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Far as solvents go, alcohol is pretty low on the list of things to worry about. Please note, im not saying dont worry at all, just that theres a lot of difference between alcohol vapors and lacquer thinner vapors. When in doubt, a respirator with organic vapor cartridges works wonders
Thanks for the comments. My brief experience with lacquer thinner was not pleasant.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Only a trace of purple in Meths. However, restrictions in Scotland as a few meths drinkers there and the methyl alcohol content very toxic and can cause blindness. Problem has been compounded by the solvent "sniffers".
I use it without problems. IMS (Industrial Methylated Spirit) is controlled but a licenced user can use for perfumes etc.
I is colourless. Other spirit products such as Surgical Spirit (Similar to your rubbing alcohol) also abused north of the border. It contains methyl salicylate (Wintergreen). For very expensive perfumes, we would sell Quassin powder and solution as a denaturant. Quassia wood is also known as wormwood and main supplier is Jamaica where it was used for furniture.
Has been replaced by Bitrex, a synthetic product in expensive perfumes.
Pure alcohol is very strictly controlled. We had a "bonded area" where it was used for flavours. In Arab countries we used Light Liquid Paraffin for our popular "Bint" perfume.
Iso propyl alcohol (IPA) is available. Was used as a model aircraft engine fuel and general purpose solvent. Acetone is a fire risk. If I want to use it, I use nail varnish remover.
johnep
John that is very complex feedback beyond my ability to understand in detail. Wow.

·
johnep
1,981 Posts
If you want, I can enlarge on any point.
Alcohol has been subject to regulations for hundreds of years.
johnep

·
Ancient Termite
888 Posts
Stupidity, just stupidity.

I'm told Denatured alcohol is no longer available in Southern California. It seems that denatured alcohol is a VOC and bad for the SMOG.
OK, I'm sold.
But now follow this closely.
Denatured alcohol is ethanol or alcohol made from corn. The denaturing agent is usually methyl alcohol which is poisonous.
Ethanol is the major component of E-85 at the gas pump.

Now for the really stupid question: Which puts more VOCs into the air, tail pipe unburned E-85 or the Denatured alcohol sold in cans at the home center?

Is there a reason to mistrust the wisdom of the (lack of) brain trust at CARB?

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
For those who don't recognize the terms in the post above:

VOC = volatile organic compound.
SMOG = smog. A word, not an acronym. Smog is air pollution. The word comes from a combination of "smoke" and "fog".
E-85 = A new fuel (petrol) type sold in the US. It is 15% gasoline and 85% ethanol.
CARB = California Air Resources Board. A state government agency.

Note: E-85 fuel is not in widespread use here in the US, however most "gasoline" automotive fuel sold here includes a small percentage of ethanol (usually 10%).

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Stupidity, just stupidity.

I'm told Denatured alcohol is no longer available in Southern California. It seems that denatured alcohol is a VOC and bad for the SMOG.
OK, I'm sold.
[...]
Is there a reason to mistrust the wisdom of the (lack of) brain trust at CARB?
When the Revenuers come pounding on your door because you are operating a hidden still in your backyard, just tell them, "It's for shellac furniture finish!" ;-)

The federal government Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives is making plans to open a field office here in California, to combat all the bootlegger woodworkers. (NOT!)

41 - 60 of 71 Posts