Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Naphtha was once described to me as "High Octane" mineral spirits. It is more flammable and evaporates faster.
I think it cleans brushes more thoroughly and leaves behind less residue than spirits. And most importantly, no longer available where I live!

I don't think Coleman Fuel is Naphtha. I think Coleman Fuel is highly refined gasoline "white gas"
The Coleman Fuel came up from a search that I did on naphtha. Confusing results I guess.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Fortunately, we can still get Naphtha here in the south. it's about $12 gallon and readily available at local paint stores. The Lowe's website says they no longer sell it but they had it in quarts and gallons a couple of weeks ago.

In all the years I've used it there has not been an issue with flammability - I don't have open fires in the shop and there are no open containers of Naphtha sitting around. If there were it would evaporate in no time.

David
Thanks. It looks like I am going to have trouble finding that in Canada too. A search on Amazon.ca brings up nothing useful. Ugh!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
BioFlame Ethanol @ CanadianTire & Home Hardware

or, since it's just a wiping fluid that evaporates completely.... isopropyl alcohol, altho that's may also be hard to find as it's used in homemade hand sanitizers....
You are right about it being hard to find. Amazon.ca shows some options but the price is outrageous at $75 Cdn a gallon.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A few comments:

* Very pure alcohol gets diluted over time. It absorbs moisture from the air. The water dissolves in it.
* Alcohol can raise the grain. It isn't the alcohol, it is the water in it.
* Denatured Alcohol (DNA) is ethanol with toxins mixed in. Methanol is used or at least included for that purpose. The reason for denaturing is to prevent people from drinking it in order to keep liquor taxation structures in place.
* I live in Southern California. Denatured alcohol has been banned here for some time as a solvent. You could buy "alcohol stove fuel" in camping stores, the same product. Perhaps @GAF can find it that way in Canada. We can't - about a year ago, denatured alcohol was banned throughout California, even as stove fuel.
* There are many other woodworking solvents that are also unavailable in California, including mineral spirits, naphtha, and many others.
Lots to consider. Thanks. Your California rules are so, so tough.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just go to the local drug store (Chemist?) and buy some rubbing alcohol. It is isopropyl alcohol. It is typically 70% maximum but for your purposes the 50% will work just as well.

And Dave, you have given me a new reason to hate SCAQMD / CARB.
Good idea. I had asked about denatured alcohol at the drug store. Now I have another question to ask them.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I was talking to the owner of my local hardware store when he told me they could no longer sell Naphtha because of VOC regulations. Instead they sell a substitute called “Painters Thinner” which is mostly Acetone. I had always thought of Acetone as being nastier than Naphtha, but I guess not where VOCs are concerned.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I was talking to the owner of my local hardware store when he told me they could no longer sell Naphtha because of VOC regulations. Instead they sell a substitute called “Painters Thinner” which is mostly Acetone. I had always thought of Acetone as being nastier than Naphtha, but I guess not where VOCs are concerned.
This is a mine field. I have been using Sunnyside DNA for years. It has a chemical content of 50% ethanol and 50% methanol. I just received in the mail from Quebec 1 quart of Finico DNA which shows 85% ethanol and 15% methanol. I paid $26 for 1 quart which is ridiculous but I wanted to try it and see if it will work for my final sanding dust cleaning. If I buy in bulk I can get it for $64 a gallon.

Any thoughts on if this will work for me?

Gary

·
Super Moderator
3,336 Posts
I had always thought of Acetone as being nastier than Naphtha, but I guess not where VOCs are concerned.
I am thinking that if the VOC in Buttermilk exceeded the EPA limits, it too would be banned in some states.

I still have a pint of oil based gold leaf size that contains lead. even with the skull and crossbones on the label.
I hope the Paint Police never stops by my home to inspect my paint box !!!
when I hear even a rumor that 100% mineral spirits and Naphtha will be banned in Florida,
I will be stocking up on it for sure.

·
Super Moderator
David
4,989 Posts
Honestly, even though I can get and use Naphtha, my normal MO for getting rid of dust is just compressed air. I usually wipe things down with Naphtha when I want to see what the wood will look like with a finish.

David

·
Registered
26,324 Posts
I have been using denatured alcohol for 8 years to clean the final sanding dust from an antique before I stain it. I live in a Canadian city which is a border city to Michigan and have been buying denatured alcohol in Michigan. With the border closed I need a replacement for denatured alcohol since I cannot buy it in Canada.

Any suggestions? Methyl hydrate? Simple mineral spirits?

Thanks for any feedback.

Gary
Methyl Hydrate is just another name for Methanol or wood alcohol. I don't see any reason you couldn't use it. Mineral spirits on the other hand wouldn't evaporate so fast. It could stay in the wood for several hours and cause the wood not to accept the stain right. Perhaps you still don't have compressed air. I prefer to use a soft bench brush and compressed air to clean wood off before staining.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Methyl Hydrate is just another name for Methanol or wood alcohol. I don't see any reason you couldn't use it. Mineral spirits on the other hand wouldn't evaporate so fast. It could stay in the wood for several hours and cause the wood not to accept the stain right. Perhaps you still don't have compressed air. I prefer to use a soft bench brush and compressed air to clean wood off before staining.
Thanks, Steve. Nice to get your advice again. I will try methyl hydrate. In another comment on this thread I mentioned ... Finico DNA which shows 85% ethanol and 15% methanol. Any comments about how this might work?

Gary

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I use denatured mostly to check for sanding marks, dings, missed spots . . . .
I'm not normally real happy to find I missed sanding out some tooling marks/ridges/bumps/whatever with the urethane brush.
a tack cloth works well for dust - especially for "interior" spaces where a blast of compressed air simply stirs it up into a different corner.

it also 'brings out the grain' so I can oooh and uuuh in the shop, if I want . . .

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I use denatured mostly to check for sanding marks, dings, missed spots . . . .
I'm not normally real happy to find I missed sanding out some tooling marks/ridges/bumps/whatever with the urethane brush.
a tack cloth works well for dust - especially for "interior" spaces where a blast of compressed air simply stirs it up into a different corner.

it also 'brings out the grain' so I can oooh and uuuh in the shop, if I want . . .
Tom, those are some good points that I had not considered. I use mineral spirits to demonstrate the impact that top coating will have.

Gary

·
Registered
26,324 Posts
Thanks, Steve. Nice to get your advice again. I will try methyl hydrate. In another comment on this thread I mentioned ... Finico DNA which shows 85% ethanol and 15% methanol. Any comments about how this might work?

Gary
Finico DHA is something I've never heard of. Even google doesn't know that one. If all it is is a mixture of ethanol and methanol it should work fine for what you are doing. You just need a solvent that dries very quickly. Otherwise it would water down the stain you apply and make the color lighter than it should.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Finico DHA is something I've never heard of. Even google doesn't know that one. If all it is is a mixture of ethanol and methanol it should work fine for what you are doing. You just need a solvent that dries very quickly. Otherwise it would water down the stain you apply and make the color lighter than it should.
Steve, it is strange when even Google searching does not get a hit. Anyway I tried it this afternoon and it did remove sanding dust. It dried quickly enough but quite as fast as the DNA I have been buying in Michigan. So this might be my new DNA choice till the border opens up again.

I failed to comment more on your initial feedback. I was pretty sure using mineral spirits was not the way to go. I appreciate the explanation why. And the use of air doesn't work in my home workshop environment because it only spreads the dust around.

Thanks again.

Gary

·
Registered
26,324 Posts
Here is the information on the Finico DNA:

https://ardec.ca/en/p/35/denatured-alcohol

Steve - it’s good to hear from you!

Tom
I was under the impression denatured alcohol was banned north of the border. It sounds like it's just scarce because it is also a disinfectant. It has been scarce here too. It's just high priced now. My local lumber company has gallons of it for $40.00 a gallon.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I was under the impression denatured alcohol was banned north of the border. It sounds like it's just scarce because it is also a disinfectant. It has been scarce here too. It's just high priced now. My local lumber company has gallons of it for $40.00 a gallon.

If the border was open I could go to the hardware store in Sault Ste. Marie, MI which is 5 miles away. So frustrating.

Sunnyside Denatured Alcohol Solvent, Gallon
DENATURED ALCOHOLMODEL # 834G1
$101.94 *MULTI-PACK PURCHASE*This is for 6 of the item shown, at $16.99 each.
In-store price may vary from online price. Not all products available at all stores.

·
Super Moderator
3,336 Posts
A possibility, seeing as Canada is (was) closely linked to the UK.... Try searching for Methylated Spirits, which is europe's name for denatured alcohol.
It's usually tinted deep purple as a safety thing, but its great for making shellac with.
what do you do with purple shellac ??

Reactions: TobyC
21 - 40 of 72 Posts